Outdoor redfoot enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
I'm planning on building an outdoor redfoot enclosure for my baby redfoot. I've had him for about a year now but I want to let him outside while im at school and eventually all day. I've been looking for a while and found several good ideas. Can anyone share photos of theres and instructions/prices. Thanks! (We might be getting another redfoot within days so I need it big enough for 2 but not too big where it takes more than a day to build)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What part of the world are you going to build the enclosure in? Please be aware that a pair of torts are hard to keep in harmony with one another...torts are loners by nature and when a pair come together in a captive environment one will always have to be submissive to the other....so there may a time when you will have to plan for two individual enclosures for when the time comes they do not get along well...

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
agreed with ascott, two tortoises shouldnt be kept in one enclosure. big no-no. you do that and you will have one unhealthy and potentially injured tortoise on your hands and it will be your fault, not theirs.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
AW: Outdoor redfoot enclosure

A quarantine period is also important whenever you buy a new tortoise.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using TortForum mobile app

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
3e4c4e1c4e19851d881dea48acf34079_zps20c5f21a.jpg

I built this enclosure. I used 2 8 foot 2x12s and cut them at 3 feet. The enclosure is 3 feet wide by 5 feet long and 12 inches deep. I used 3 foot wide 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the bottom as well as for the lid. I bought a 2x8 and cut it to 3 foot sections for a sheltered area. The whole project took no time and was inexpensive.

299eb447a9487311ba8acb24c075d738_zpsda741b22.jpg

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
ascott said:
What part of the world are you going to build the enclosure in? Please be aware that a pair of torts are hard to keep in harmony with one another...torts are loners by nature and when a pair come together in a captive environment one will always have to be submissive to the other....so there may a time when you will have to plan for two individual enclosures for when the time comes they do not get along well...

I live in Louisiana. And thank you, I'm planning on putting them both in the new outdoor enclosure at the same time. Will that be a problem, will I have to let one settle in the enclosure first?

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
i will post pictures of something i thought up in about twenty minutes, and put together in less than an hour. i just need the sun to come up in AZ. haha. i used what are basically bricks, but it can be done with wood as well and just as easy. you said not too big, so you may not be able to do it, but its just something to give you more ideas. i'll be back with pictures in a couple hours.

0.1.0 Russian
0.0.1 Leopard
1.0.0 Blue Pit/American Bulldog
Chive On!

Status
Not open for further replies.