Outdoor redfoot enclosure

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Alabama
I have been searching the forum for information on Wall height and digging but haven't found much. Does anyone house their redfoot outdoors? If so how high are the walls? Also do they dig much? I can't cover the the pen it is too large and odd shaped so I'm concerned about them climbing. I used chicken wire underground near walls 2 feet out or 1 foot down. Still need to cover the corners with wire. Also does anyone use outdoor enclosures below 60 degrees? Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
After you add substrate (if you're going to) stand the tortoise up and measure how tall he is with all his legs extended, standing on back legs tippy toes, and 'reaching for the sky' with his front legs. Then make the wall about two inches taller than that. If they can get their front toes around the top edge, they can climb out. One way to get away with shorter walls is to place a horizontal 'cap' all the way around the top board/wall.

They don't dig to escape under the fence unless they can see daylight under the fence.

Tyty1389

Sarasota
IMG_0326.jpg Here is my outdoor setup. I dropped the walls into the ground about 3 inches. I have experienced zero digging with my red-foots (shout out to zeropilot for the torts). I have electric fencing running around the top because it makes me feel good. It’s to keep stuff out not Tortoise’s in, its far out of their reach any way. I live in southwest Florida and keep an insulated heated hide outside for them when the weather drops below 60. I use Stanfield heat mat in the hide to keep things warm and habitable for them on cold nights.

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Southern Alabama
View attachment 233557 Here is my outdoor setup. I dropped the walls into the ground about 3 inches. I have experienced zero digging with my red-foots (shout out to zeropilot for the torts). I have electric fencing running around the top because it makes me feel good. It’s to keep stuff out not Tortoise’s in, its far out of their reach any way. I live in southwest Florida and keep an insulated heated hide outside for them when the weather drops below 60. I use Stanfield heat mat in the hide to keep things warm and habitable for them on cold nights.
I like the enclosure what are the plants on the left side of the photo?

Cale

Gulf Coast FL
EBB55FDE-DC28-49F6-BFCE-23E485BF1F49.jpeg 6CC6EE4A-8140-4036-A1D9-E72ED22CC297.jpeg The first 2 outdoor enclosures I made had a couple inches of wood underground, but since mine have never dug in future enclosures it is just flush with the ground.

I have 2 plywood houses 4 ft square that have CHEs mounted inside. I switch out the bulbs depending on how cold it is. When we had a freeze in FL this Jan I put 250 watt brooder Bulbs in. In the summer I turn the heat off and they just use them for shelter.

The walls are 18 inches high and work fine keeping them in.

In a smaller tort enclosure I made I used lattice a a roof to keep any birds etc out.

Tyty1389

Sarasota
View attachment 233789 View attachment 233790 The first 2 outdoor enclosures I made had a couple inches of wood underground, but since mine have never dug in future enclosures it is just flush with the ground.

I have 2 plywood houses 4 ft square that have CHEs mounted inside. I switch out the bulbs depending on how cold it is. When we had a freeze in FL this Jan I put 250 watt brooder Bulbs in. In the summer I turn the heat off and they just use them for shelter.

The walls are 18 inches high and work fine keeping them in.

In a smaller tort enclosure I made I used lattice a a roof to keep any birds etc out.
Nice setup!!

P'sturtious

These enclosures are really great. I am in the process of making my own. Unfortunately I don’t have a nature substrate. I use coconut fiber for the exterior enclosure. Any recommendations?

Cale

Gulf Coast FL
These enclosures are really great. I am in the process of making my own. Unfortunately I don’t have a nature substrate. I use coconut fiber for the exterior enclosure. Any recommendations?

Where are you located? Since mine are outside they don’t have any “Substrate” per se. I have some cypress mulch in their houses to keep them out of the mud during thunderstorm season. So in their enclosure they are on the natural ground. All plants are GONE so they are just on sand/soil and fallen leaves. I occasionally lay sod, but it dies pretty quick.

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Southern Alabama
My are on some st Augustine sod and soil. I can't get them to use the heated house I built for them. They stay outside of it under plant leaves and I end up taking them indoors. When it gets a little warmer at night they will stay outside.

Cale

Gulf Coast FL
My are on some st Augustine sod and soil. I can't get them to use the heated house I built for them. They stay outside of it under plant leaves and I end up taking them indoors. When it gets a little warmer at night they will stay outside.

Anytime it will be below 65° outside I manually put my tortoises in their house and block them in with a cinderblock. I did that for a few weeks and now whether the heat is on or off they sleep in their houses every night!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They don't dig. And adults generally don't climb.
Tall walls and roofing are for predators.
Look on YOUTUBE at my short video
"REDFOOT HABITAT FLORIDA STYLE"
It shows a simple and secure enclosure on the cheap.

helosoldier66

5 Year Member
Southern Alabama
Anytime it will be below 65° outside I manually put my tortoises in their house and block them in with a cinderblock. I did that for a few weeks and now whether the heat is on or off they sleep in their houses every night!
I didn't think to block them just thought it was odd that the hide was 72 degrees and they went back out to 57 degrees