Outdoor, recommendations

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Dexters pen is 40 ft wide and 44ft long. 3 sides have a 6 ft wood fence and the side that faces the inner yard has a 4 ft picket fence with dbl railway ties at the base. He is only 4 1/2 pounds and 10 inches long so he has room to grow.
Just trying to find good hides for him. No shade trees in his enclosure.
That sounds like an excellent spot for a mulberry tree. Right in the middle. Shade and food all summer. Full sun in the winter.

You can plant all sorts of good stuff in there if you encircle it with cinderblocks or something similar. Once the plant/bush/tree/cactus gets established and has a thick enough trunk on it, you can remove the blocks.

By all means, try the underground retreat. If you make sure it is pointed down hill, you can reduce the flooding danger.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
That sounds like an excellent spot for a mulberry tree. Right in the middle. Shade and food all summer. Full sun in the winter.

You can plant all sorts of good stuff in there if you encircle it with cinderblocks or something similar. Once the plant/bush/tree/cactus gets established and has a thick enough trunk on it, you can remove the blocks.

By all means, try the underground retreat. If you make sure it is pointed down hill, you can reduce the flooding danger.
Thanks Tom I’ll try to locate a mulberry tree. Already have a dozen Optunia cactus planted. They take longer to grow in S.C. than AZ or TX

silverbird

Orange County, California
Don't you think Dexter's pen is aliitle too small, only 40 x 44 feet....lol Actually that is a very good size pen for him. Have you though about small igloo type dog house as a hide for him or a large plastic dog carrier; maybe just the top part of it and secure it down by nailing it into the ground so it won't move. Also I would think about planting a couple of trees, in the pen to provide shade when they get bigger.

polDurna

New Castle, PA.
For hides, I go to our local Ollie's store and buy the huge terracotta pots for a steal and cut them in half.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Don't you think Dexter's pen is aliitle too small, only 40 x 44 feet....lol Actually that is a very good size pen for him. Have you though about small igloo type dog house as a hide for him or a large plastic dog carrier; maybe just the top part of it and secure it down by nailing it into the ground so it won't move. Also I would think about planting a couple of trees, in the pen to provide shade when they get bigger.
Great ideas! Thanks

silverbird

Orange County, California
You can use a catpan for water in his pen by digging a long trench and put the catpan buried with about a half inch of above the ground. In fact with the size of your pen, I would put two catpans in there for water and would also use a catpan for food, and bury it the same. You might be able to get a catpan at a dollar store, Dollar tree, or Dollar General; and if so, I would get extras to have on hand, in case one cracked, you will have a spare.For the dog houses or dog carriers, I would check at garage sales, flea markets, or online at Craigslist or Offerup; for used ones, once the social distancing is over with.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
May I recommend the TIGLOO 6000 Tortoise home. It is an old style 48 quart cooler that I just took the lid off of and stuffed with cypress mulch for my Russian. Check craigslist for freebies since
everybody wants a Yeti now!
IMG_1768 (1).jpeg

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
You can use a catpan for water in his pen by digging a long trench and put the catpan buried with about a half inch of above the ground. In fact with the size of your pen, I would put two catpans in there for water and would also use a catpan for food, and bury it the same. You might be able to get a catpan at a dollar store, Dollar tree, or Dollar General; and if so, I would get extras to have on hand, in case one cracked, you will have a spare.For the dog houses or dog carriers, I would check at garage sales, flea markets, or online at Craigslist or Offerup; for used ones, once the social distancing is over with.
Great ideas,thanks. I went to tractor supply before all this started and bought a metal feed dish, large enough he could eventually bathe in it.