outdoor ponds for boxies in the Northeast USA.

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
Need to know- how do you keep them clean? is there a filtration system you use, or do you have a mini ecosystem in there? My boxies love to poop in their water tub, and it is a pain to keep changing it, but not sure if a small pond is the answer or not. The keeping it clean is my dilemma. Please tell me what you do, and maybe post pics as well. was considering a small pond with stones and with some water plants.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My Redfoot have shallow cement pools that I sweep out with a broom and then refill.
After trying many different things. I've come to the conclusion that this is the way to go.
I also plumbed some pvc pipes to them so that I can just turn on a faucet to refill them. But a hose also works.
Simple and effective.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When I had a koi pond and a Red eared slider in it yes I had a pond filter.
When I made a small cement pond for my leopard I put a drain in and swept the big items like leaves out before draining and filled with a hose no filter.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I use portable ponds. made with a wooden frame that a box turtle can easily get into. I have used roof rubber, shower pan liner or 6 mil poly stapled to the frame to hold the water. When it needs cleaning I just lift one side and dump the water out and then refill. I have a 3x5 ft framed pond framed with 2x4s for my adult sulcata that the box turtles often use too. I have used kiddie pools with a opening cut in the side for them to go in and out. If you want deeper water set the pool at an angle with the lower part away from the cut opening. Cleaned the same as the framed ponds.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mine is like Zero's. I dug out a depression in the dirt then mixed up some Redi-mix and spread it over the dirt. They sit in the water and walk in and out safely. In fact, the other day when I was pulling up a whole bunch of mint that had taken over their waterer I discovered two box turtles brumating UNDER the mint roots, between the roots and the cement, and under water. In the summer, when the turtles are active, I sweep out the water with the broom. I have a hose dedicated to that waterer and it's turned on as a drip, keeping the waterer full all the time.

Madame Terrapene

Houston, TX
Question for folks who have shallow homemade cement ponds: Is there a trick to keep the cement pond from cracking during freeze/thaw cycles? Or is that not an issue?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Question for folks who have shallow homemade cement ponds: Is there a trick to keep the cement pond from cracking during freeze/thaw cycles? Or is that not an issue?
That's not an issue here. We do get freezing temps occasionally during the winter, with frost on the ground most nights, but the waterers don't usually freeze over but maybe only three or four times a winter. I've never had one of my cement waterers crack.