Outdoor pond Texas

AllyAlbon

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas
You could build a bigger top part of the pond for the turtles which could also be a filter and waterfall for the bottom pond which would house koi and goldfish then just heat the top part of the pond it will be a lot cheaper and easier.
I have actually been thinking about that! I think if the waterfall runs into the small pond and then into the main one, it will just drag the heat out instantly into the main pond but I have been mulling over whether there is a way to separate the small pond flow from the main one in cold weather and heat it on it's own, possibly even put a greenhouse or something over it - its certainly a possibility and at this point is the winning idea, although will require a bit more thought!

AllyAlbon

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas
Because I hate unsolved problems, I have been thinking about this all day....

I am going to rework the pond layout so that it is a bit more formal rather than the "wildlife" idea I was going with - I am sure the toads and dragonflies won't mind too much!

The second small pond I was planning on having straight after the waterfall acting as a bog filter will now be laid out in such a way that it is almost its own entity, and can be blocked off into it's own fenced/walled enclosure in which the pinks can still be outdoors but safe while they are smaller. There will be water flow directed through this small pond in summer (hoping to do about 5ft x 3ft x 3ftdeep), and I will close the water flow off when it gets colder and add a small greenhouse/lid type thing over the top - I have a suspicion that this will keep the winter temperatures more than adequate from what I have been reading (mostly on tomato growers forums but the theory is there!) If I am clever with the build of the small pond and keep it pretty deep, and dig in a supporting wall around it on which the greenhouse sits, then this may very well be what I need - I may need to add a small heater but perhaps not. I am going to build a greenhouse mockup this winter and see what happens and if the theory stands!

Has anyone greenhoused their turtles or fish?