Outdoor Pond for Map Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Here is the outdoor pond I am in the process of building for my false map turtle. Any suggestions for filtration?

TurtlePond_phase1_1_zps71b9b1f6.jpg

TurtlePond_phase1_2_zps333e151b.jpg

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Filtration filter-ation....Personally, I don't buy my filters. I usually build them myself. I tried it and discovered I can make a filter as efficient as just about any on the market for a fourth the price. Its pretty easy to do...I'm using it for a couple of ponds now. But thats just me. As far as on-the-market ones go, the Reaction 4-stage canister filter is the best I've had.
Let me know if you need any tips on making one..But its pretty easy.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yeah, a friend suggested making a canister-style filter out of a 5-gal bucket. Just need to find a DIY how-to somewhere.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
StudentoftheReptile said:
Yeah, a friend suggested making a canister-style filter out of a 5-gal bucket. Just need to find a DIY how-to somewhere.

Buckets can work, but I use storage tower drawers, like from walmart. Just get one with 4 drawers. Drill holes in the bottom of each drawer. Fill the first with mechanical filtration (filter floss), the next with carbon, ammonia and phosphate pads, and then the next two just bio-balls, ors one other sort of biological media. Works well for me.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJBm89MuzU
Heres a good one...

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Your tort's will love that!
Can you post pics when it is finished?
I would love to see your tort's in it!! :)

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
This is actually for an aquatic turtle, not one of my torts.

RedfootsRule said:

Buckets can work, but I use storage tower drawers, like from walmart. Just get one with 4 drawers. Drill holes in the bottom of each drawer. Fill the first with mechanical filtration (filter floss), the next with carbon, ammonia and phosphate pads, and then the next two just bio-balls, ors one other sort of biological media. Works well for me.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZJBm89MuzU
Heres a good one...

How does it create a siphon/suction if the pond is nearly ground level?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Oh yeah, the downside of the tower drawer thing is it has to be above it. Say, build a small stand next to the pond, or over the wall? Just put the pump output into the top, and the output from the filter at the bottom can either flow right into the pond, or you can put a tube. It doesn't run off of a siphon, just flows out.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I'll probably have to use pumps to get it to work, but ironically, I already have a drawer set and tubs to make a wet/dry system with a lid on it (since this will be outside).

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I'll probably have to use pumps to get it to work, but ironically, I already have a drawer set and tubs to make a wet/dry system with a lid on it (since this will be outside).

A pump to pump it out of the filter, or into it? Obviously you need one to go in, but I would just build a little table next to the pond or something and either lit it go straight out, or let the gravity carry it down a tube.
I could get a picture for you tomorrow of one I did if you need a visual, but the whole thing is pretty basic.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I am looking forward to pictures of progress on this. It will give me ideas!
I will follow this thread.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.