Outdoor Playpen Problems

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
HE'S a Russian also known as a Horsfield. I'm attaching a picture of a hermann's. See the difference?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-07-03-01-20-01.png
    Screenshot_2017-07-03-01-20-01.png
    755.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
That is a male Russian tortoise. There is no way to tell how old he is without a hatch date, which likely no one knows because he looks to be WC.

Melissa Butler

Dang it. I was under the impression that he was captive breed AND a different species. This is disappointing. Now I'm not sure what to do. I really want a male Hermann's tort, but we've had this Russian for a few weeks. Suggestions?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Up to you... Hermans usually cost more I believe so if you paid more for a Herman and got a Russian instead you deserve a little bit of money back I would think.
You could sell it on Craigslist. Or on here. Russians are supposed to have wonderful personalities. Maybe just stick with what you got? A tortoise is a tortoise...
I just looked it up on Backwater Reptiles website... Herman's are $149.99 and Russians are on sale for $79.99

Last edited:

Melissa Butler

Up to you... Hermans usually cost more I believe so if you paid more for a Herman and got a Russian instead you deserve a little bit of money back I would think.
You could sell it on Craigslist. Or on here. Russians are supposed to have wonderful personalities. Maybe just stick with what you got? A tortoise is a tortoise...
I just looked it up on Backwater Reptiles website... Herman's are $149.99 and Russians are on sale for $79.99

Thanks. I guess I'm most concerned that he is WC. All of my research has me worried about that.

It is absolutely your decision, and you should be comfortable about the kind of tortoise you are taking care of BUUUT.....My rescued WC russian is adorable with a very distinct personality. Don't judge your baby too hard! ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He looks full grown, and way too big for that playpen.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
That's an adult Russian tort for sure

Don't worry about giving Blackwater Reptiles a bad rap... they've given themselves that. Worst internet dealer!

I wouldn't mind keeping him if I were you but I would call and get the price difference refunded.

Melissa Butler

It is absolutely your decision, and you should be comfortable about the kind of tortoise you are taking care of BUUUT.....My rescued WC russian is adorable with a very distinct personality. Don't judge your baby too hard! ;)

My family actually quite enjoys having him. I guess I feel discouraged by the deception of what I thought he was. Does that make sense?