Outdoor pen for juvenile sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
I did a little work on Kobe's outdoor pen this past weekend. I basically made two shelters on either side of the pen, and shoved a bunch of dead leaf litter for substrate and humidity.

Initially, I'm not too worried about predators. I live in a fairly urban area (never seen a raccoon since I moved in 4 yrs ago). The yard is fenced in to prevent stray dogs from exploring and I think he's a tad too heavy for cats to mess with. Still debating on constructing a wire cover just for safe measure. Thoughts?

Also, I wonder about it getting too hot out there. I know these little buggers come from African and all, but its still only March: my temp gun readings Saturday put the ground at 112'F (mid 80s at the heat of the day). Inside both shelters it was about 84-86'F. That too hot? He does have a water pan out there as well. The hottest part of the day is the latter afternoon, where there is virtually no shade from the western sun. Should I add some more hides or shelter in there?

Attachments

• kobeoutdoorpen_01.jpg
    kobeoutdoorpen_01.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 240
  • kobeoutdoorpen_02.jpg
    kobeoutdoorpen_02.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 238

qixer01

10 Year Member!
I would suggest another hide/shade spot. Never can be to carefull

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Maybe add a potted plant or two, that will let him be in the shade and still get some UV...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a similar enclosure that is up against a wall like that. The heat reflecting off that wall is intense. The wall temps at 105 on a sunny 60 degree day. I think it is fine as is for early spring, but you are going to need some serious shade and/or and underground shelter for summer. My whole underground housing thing was inspired by Tyler Stewart showing up to a reptile show with some 4-5" sulcatas that were very smooth. He explained to me (and gave me permission to share his "secret") that he uses those plastic sprinkler boxes as little underground shelters for babies. He sinks them into the ground and makes a little access tunnel. He said even in the full sun in the 120 Vegas heat, they only get up to about 90. Plus this gives you access to them through the removable top. He told me that even a few inches of dirt on top of the lid makes a huge difference and is easily brushed away if you need to open it.

I have a 4x4' shade table in my pen and as soon as I get a free minute, I am going to build a 4x4' planter box to put on top of it. It will increase and intensify their shade under it, plus it will allow me to grow some more food for them where the critters can't get to it, plus it will add humidity and moisture since I will have the hose in there watering it every day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To minimize the heat reflecting off the building, you could set up some potted plants all along in front of the building. Even pots of cactus would help. You could also set some potted plants on the cinder blocks to provide extra shade.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Thanks for the tip, Tom (and Tyler!). I happen to have a giftcard to Lowe's so I think I know what I'll be spending it on! Question: does he leave the bottom part of the box on as well?

emysemys said:
To minimize the heat reflecting off the building, you could set up some potted plants all along in front of the building. Even pots of cactus would help. You could also set some potted plants on the cinder blocks to provide extra shade.

Definitely something I've already considered! In a few years, once he has outgrown this pen, I will probably revamp it as an outdoor pen for the redfoot. I'm always on the lookout for potted plants that will fit in those cinder block holes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The sprinkler boxes sold out here have an open bottom. Never seen a closed one. They make several sizes.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
StudentoftheReptile said:
I Inside both shelters it was about 84-86'F. That too hot?

Probably a little. You should do a double roof on the shelters. 2 pieces of wood for the roof, with a gap in between. It will keep the heat of sun from transferring straight through a single roof.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
nicoleandrocky said:
very cool, what kind of grasses/weeds do you plan on growing in it ?

To be honest, I have no idea. I found I still had a bag and a half of finch and canary seed mix back when I used to keep Uromastyx lizards. Figured whatever they grow would be safe, so I sprinkled a handful of seeds out there.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get you some concrete stain and paint your blocks. While you are there visit the garden center and get you a couple pieces of sod and some plants. A little more shade can't hurt. I have a similar enclosure and I have done all of the above. If you are keeping the substrate damp, then the ground temps should not be that high.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Shelly said:
You should do a double roof on the shelters. 2 pieces of wood for the roof, with a gap in between. It will keep the heat of sun from transferring straight through a single roof.

Done!

DixieParadise said:
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get you some concrete stain and paint your blocks.

Just curious...is there a reason I should paint the blocks?

While you are there visit the garden center and get you a couple pieces of sod and some plants. A little more shade can't hurt.

That's the plan!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
would take off some of the glare and heat from the sun on the blocks. My blocks stay pretty cool when they are stained as opposed to the ones I have added this year and are not.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
UPDATE:

Here's some recent photos of Kobe's outdoor pen. Surprisingly, he was actually out in the afternoon!

Long view from the porch side.
IMG_3396.jpg

The "west" side. He spends a lot of time in that brick shelter. My grandma had an old door screen that she was gonna throw out, so I decided to use it as a UV shade and leaf-catcher over the water pool. He likes to get underneath it when it rains. I think he likes having the water drip on him, as the screen prevents it from coming down on him directly.
IMG_3400.jpg

Then a shot of my hibiscus tree planted conveniently next to the pen, so I can offer flower snacks regularly!
IMG_3401.jpg

This is the other side where his artificial burrow/den is [see details in this thread = http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Artificial-burrow-for-outdoor-pen-Juvenile-sulcata#axzz1y9SEMYda ]
IMG_3399.jpg

And a couple shots of Kobe being uncharacteristically social for the camera!
IMG_3402.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

jason g.

5 Year Member
Great inclosure! I keep seeing all these cool inclosures and I can't help but think I can do mine better! Thanks for some good ideas.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I got bored today, so I played around with google maps and photoshop.

Yard_map2.jpg

That wide open area in the middle of the backyard is where the septic tank is (according to my father-in-law), so I felt it wise not to plan any tortoise enclosures in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.