Outdoor living space for Herbie.

AgataP

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
Spring is here and I absolutely love seeing Herbie outside enjoying his tortoise travels and eating his treats while enjoying the sun.

Since he is way to small to let him be in the grass I have decided to build an outdoor box where he can be safe, have some roaming space and has no way to dig himself out.

I built it from plywood (no worries it will only last through this summer so I am not worried about it getting destroyed).
It is 6 x 2 x 2.

I attached two mover dollies to it so I am able to hide it if it rains like crazy or if I need to move it in more shade or sun.

C37611F2-D4DD-4F56-9B1D-11E8E01F2AD8.jpeg5F301355-347B-4AB3-BC40-67D5D51AF367.jpeg87664113-8399-40AD-9934-170447161435.jpeg

Pixel approved.
0EB34905-6583-47BB-896E-996A73AB996D.jpeg

The top will have part covered with plywood plus a hide out spot, the rest will be a frame with galvanized hardware cloth.
This is for him to be outside for few hours not to live in it.
Guess for really hot nights I could make it into a closed chamber with Che as I do have plexiglass that will fit over it.... will see.
Anyways this is what we have for today.
Will update when I add other things.
Waiting on coco coir blocks to expand ??

I will keep it cover when he is not there as I don’t want any other creatures visiting ??

Any suggestions, ideas are welcome.

EC2296CA-C65D-4BEA-AD78-CC218FD02B12.jpeg

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Spring is here and I absolutely love seeing Herbie outside enjoying his tortoise travels and eating his treats while enjoying the sun.

Since he is way to small to let him be in the grass I have decided to build an outdoor box where he can be safe, have some roaming space and has no way to dig himself out.

I built it from plywood (no worries it will only last through this summer so I am not worried about it getting destroyed).
It is 6 x 2 x 2.

I attached two mover dollies to it so I am able to hide it if it rains like crazy or if I need to move it in more shade or sun.

View attachment 322587View attachment 322588View attachment 322589

Pixel approved.
View attachment 322590

The top will have part covered with plywood plus a hide out spot, the rest will be a frame with galvanized hardware cloth.
This is for him to be outside for few hours not to live in it.
Guess for really hot nights I could make it into a closed chamber with Che as I do have plexiglass that will fit over it.... will see.
Anyways this is what we have for today.
Will update when I add other things.
Waiting on coco coir blocks to expand ??

I will keep it cover when he is not there as I don’t want any other creatures visiting ??

Any suggestions, ideas are welcome.

View attachment 322592
You might want to submit that photo of Herbie for most enthusiastic eater of the month!!

AgataP

Seattle, WA
You might want to submit that photo of Herbie for most enthusiastic eater of the month!!

I love that photo so much.
This is his second snack of the day after an actual good breakfast. I gave him leftovers Romain and he was so excited ??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That will work well to keep him safe and contained. :)

You might find that with sides that tall that only the mid day sun will reach the bottom in there.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
That will work well to keep him safe and contained. :)

You might find that with sides that tall that only the mid day sun will reach the bottom in there.

Was thinking about it and figured I add more substrate. Possibly cut some out. Will set a time laps and see how sun travels around it I guess.
I am gonna put a thermometer and check how temps are changing too.
Figured that sides will be drying relatively fast so I can load the substrate pretty high.
Should be fine for the 4-5 months time, right ?
I have a covered space to move it as well in case of heavy rains so it doesn’t change into a swamp.

@Tom do you think I should drill drain holes?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Was thinking about it and figured I add more substrate. Possibly cut some out. Will set a time laps and see how sun travels around it I guess.
I am gonna put a thermometer and check how temps are changing too.
Figured that sides will be drying relatively fast so I can load the substrate pretty high.
Should be fine for the 4-5 months time, right ?
I have a covered space to move it as well in case of heavy rains so it doesn’t change into a swamp.

@Tom do you think I should drill drain holes?
I'd prefer something bigger and on the ground, but yes, that will work for a few months. I don't think you need to drill drainage holes if you will be rolling it undercover during rain.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
1362EEA9-D3E1-49F2-8757-4DB59DC179A8.jpeg

He seems to be content. Still working on it. But he is eating and walking around. Nothing like a wine box for a hide out ?
His next enclosure is gonna be waaaay bigger.
He is still a kid so jus for hanging out while we having some wine and to be sure he is safe.
This way dogs can’t get to him either.