Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
pspryu101 said:
AMaaaaZing pen! I have a similar type like yours but bricks for sides instead of wood although yours looks more secured. If you don't mind heather, how much did everything cost you there as far as material goes? Maybe i'll build one just like yours in the near future :)

Funny, I previously used bricks as my walls. It was a breeding ground for black and brown widow spiders. It was awful!! I tried to mortar the brick to make a planter wall but that was a disaster. Brick work is called an "art" for a reason! LOL

This was fairly cheap and I love it. Superior to the brick in many ways. It didn't cost much. $70 bought all the wood for 2 pens (I built a russian pen, too) and some still left over. I bought a gallon of outdoor paint and we used a hammer, nails, drill and some screws.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wish all leopards had such a nice enclosure.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Fabulous-ity! Absolutely awesome Heather and company (Mr. hubby man!).

And Tom, maybe all those neato smooth shelled leopard tortoises that you helped get there with your hot-humid-hydrated information will indeed have pens like these thanks to Heather and her hubby sharing it here.

Thanks y'all! LOTS! : )

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Now that's a pen(house)! If I had smaller torts, I'd definitely make that; but, I have sulcatas. They'll require the entire backyard. So, you have just given me an idea. I'll transform the entire backyard into a little garden, with many different paths. I like the idea of putting the solar lights in. They look like miniature street lights. It will be approx. five times your size, and there's also a stump in the ground on one end (don't know what tree it was), but it'll work. Thanks Heather.

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Left Coast :)
Team Gomberg said:
pspryu101 said:
AMaaaaZing pen! I have a similar type like yours but bricks for sides instead of wood although yours looks more secured. If you don't mind heather, how much did everything cost you there as far as material goes? Maybe i'll build one just like yours in the near future :)

Funny, I previously used bricks as my walls. It was a breeding ground for black and brown widow spiders. It was awful!! I tried to mortar the brick to make a planter wall but that was a disaster. Brick work is called an "art" for a reason! LOL

This was fairly cheap and I love it. Superior to the brick in many ways. It didn't cost much. $70 bought all the wood for 2 pens (I built a russian pen, too) and some still left over. I bought a gallon of outdoor paint and we used a hammer, nails, drill and some screws.

Oooooh that doesn't sound good? You just gave me a project for my day off lol :) thanks

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Outdoor Leopard Tortoise Pen

Tom said:
I wish all leopards had such a nice enclosure.

Thanks! My Leo loves his home :)

Beebee, like your Mr. hubby man comment.
He really was a big help..

sibi said:
Now that's a pen(house)! If I had smaller torts, I'd definitely make that; but, I have sulcatas. They'll require the entire backyard. So, you have just given me an idea. I'll transform the entire backyard into a little garden, with many different paths. I like the idea of putting the solar lights in. They look like miniature street lights. It will be approx. five times your size, and there's also a stump in the ground on one end (don't know what tree it was), but it'll work. Thanks Heather.

Yea i can't do a sully. Too big too destructive! If i ever have acres then maybe id consider one.

The tree stump on one end is a yucca tree i cut down. It's sprouting new leaves but i keep it trimmed down.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I revisited this thread and couldn't believe how barren this pen used to look!! :O

Here is an update of what a few months of growth can do :D
e7jfj6.jpg

20j2te0.jpg

one of the squash plants.. I love this thing and so do the leopards ;)
2m2bz41.jpg

the base of the yucca tree. a favorite hiding spot for my largest leopard
2mr74uf.jpg

gardening has become my new favorite hobby...second to caring for torts. I never thought I'd be growing and cultivating my own plants and flowers :)

...and it all started from this!
24v0593.jpg

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
This is beautiful Heather. It's my first time seeing this thread, and I absolutely adore your pen. The yucca stump is my favourite!

What are the spiky plants growing in there (sorry if you said it and I missed it)? I love the dimension they add. Well, honestly, I love it all.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The "spikes" are the yucca tree growing back. I try to keep it trimmed like this. I like it enough to add shade but I don't want it to grow to the 6ft tall, spider infested tree it was when I cut it down.
Thanks for the compliments. I love tending to the pens :)

Sent from my VS840 4G using TortForum mobile app

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
That;s so neat that it grows back like that. It looks cool as a ground plant....I wouldn't want a spider infested tree either!

And I know what you mean about loving tending to the pens. I always had a black-thumb, until I got tortoises. Now, I spend tons of time tending to my pen (my guys are outside full time), and it even inspired me to garden for my human family! :)

Thanks for sharing!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think it looks neat trimmed like that, too ;)

Glad you also enjoy the wonderful world of gardening!

Sent from my VS840 4G using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.