Outdoor houses

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palmbay FL
Hi ,my three-year-old leopard needs to go outside. I need to make her a house, one of the internet channels , a woman made a house ,out of the Rubbermaid garbage can shed. She insulated it and put a heater in it. Looked good too me. I found a large Rubbermaid shed for garbage cans on sale. So I purchased it but, I am second guessing that idea. In a couple of years as a tortoises( I also have babies, like potato chips you need more than one) grow I have a very large shed that will be made in there home. For now , I like to keep an eye on her so I just need to make a house for during the day , with heat if she needs she can go in. She has a 4x8 table in side, at night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used two different Rubbermade type sheds in the past. They don't work well. Too tall inside and much too drafty. By the time you modify, seal, and insulate one, you'd be better off building one that is properly designed and functions perfectly for tortoises.

Here are two different designs with different heating strategies. In your area, you might not need the extra humidity inside the box.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
I used two different Rubbermade type sheds in the past. They don't work well. Too tall inside and much too drafty. By the time you modify, seal, and insulate one, you'd be better off building one that is properly designed and functions perfectly for tortoises.

Here are two different designs with different heating strategies. In your area, you might not need the extra humidity inside the box.
Well thank you very much, I did take the easy way out and I'm having somebody build it for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well thank you very much, I did take the easy way out and I'm having somebody build it for me.
All those threads I linked will help them understand how it needs to be built and insulated. The one with the exploded view really helps.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
That did
help, they are doing the small one, I will need a few more, this will be a model for me. I have 5 all to getter. I hope they are all girls. And get along. ?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
That did
help, they are doing the small one, I will need a few more, this will be a model for me. I have 5 all to getter. I hope they are all girls. And get along. ?
I am jealous-finding good and available contractors in Richmond is well like looking for a silver needle in a nickel needle stack !!!