Outdoor hobbit (Sully) hut

Location (City and/or State)
Maidens, Virginia
50089387_2525779067448600_3119323241143861248_n.jpg 50553645_2525779197448587_2444958627723739136_n.jpg 50016838_2525779340781906_6522950493826711552_n.jpg 50231609_2525779660781874_4977979186120491008_n.jpg 50310011_2525779727448534_1143400438284943360_n.jpg Well, 3 weeks later we may be done! The pics show off all of the details. We pick up Monty Chello from the rescue tomorrow, so I'm super excited. We worked so hard to create this buried hobbit house of a home, creating some natural insulation. Check it out!! Im open to advice, of course! Thanks for all the forum knowledge that inspired such an ordeal.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not really sure what you did here but it looks like a lot of work.
How big is the tortoise and how big is the enclosure?
Don't forget pics of the tort when he arrives.

Maidens, Virginia
I'm not really sure what you did here but it looks like a lot of work.
How big is the tortoise and how big is the enclosure?
Don't forget pics of the tort when he arrives.
Monty Chello is 4 years old Sulcata. Ive been told about 20 inches (we only have seen photos). We drive to a rescue to get him tomorrow...so photos to follow.
The enclosure is 5 1/2 by 5 and 4 foot high. He has access to his yard through sliding door.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You and your partner did a wonderful job! I really like it.

I would like to see a heavy duty wire heater guard, though, rather than the solid wood one. Seems like the wood is going to keep the heat up and away from tortoise level. There's a 16' long cattle panel made out of welded wire that you can cut and shape around the heater to protect it from the tortoise:

6x8-openings-stack.jpg

Maidens, Virginia
How critical is it for me to have the fencing lower than the ground level (bury or block along the fence line)? We haven't had time to do that yet and we are getting him today. His fence it
You and your partner did a wonderful job! I really like it.

I would like to see a heavy duty wire heater guard, though, rather than the solid wood one. Seems like the wood is going to keep the heat up and away from tortoise level. There's a 16' long cattle panel made out of welded wire that you can cut and shape around the heater to protect it from the tortoise:

6x8-openings-stack.jpg
Good advice! It is certainly warm at his level... 70 in cool spot near the door...80 other places ...and 85 in one spot tonight. However, the heater ( I believe) is running steadily so far..and its too hot in the roof area as we expected. We have a small fan circulating it, but this solution may be better.

What are the temps in there? How is it working out?

Maidens, Virginia
How critical is it for me to have the fencing lower than the ground level (bury or block along the fence line)? We haven't had time to do that yet and we are getting him today. His fence it

Good advice! It is certainly warm at his level... 70 in cool spot near the door...80 other places ...and 85 in one spot tonight. However, the heater ( I believe) is running steadily so far..and its too hot in the roof area as we expected. We have a small fan circulating it, but this solution may be better.

What are the temps in there? How is it working out?
Hey! So, near the door (where the sliding door opening is) is 69-70 F even when it's closed, floor level is 80 , 85 in one spot (weirdly since its not under a light or next to the heater?) The higher you go , the hotter...
We knew making it taller would leave room for this since heat rises...but I wanted to be able to get in there easily enough to clean and such. We will have some adjusting to do...perhaps Yvonne's suggestion with the grate...to make the heater not work so hard. It is also cold here right now, so I was mainly concerned with hot enough!

One quick question...I DID NOT get a UVB since he will have access to outside on most days. The rescue was strongly suggesting I get one to be safe. Just wanted confirmation that with his size and having an outside pen- he should be okay?

Thanks

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hey! So, near the door (where the sliding door opening is) is 69-70 F even when it's closed, floor level is 80 , 85 in one spot (weirdly since its not under a light or next to the heater?) The higher you go , the hotter...
We knew making it taller would leave room for this since heat rises...but I wanted to be able to get in there easily enough to clean and such. We will have some adjusting to do...perhaps Yvonne's suggestion with the grate...to make the heater not work so hard. It is also cold here right now, so I was mainly concerned with hot enough!

One quick question...I DID NOT get a UVB since he will have access to outside on most days. The rescue was strongly suggesting I get one to be safe. Just wanted confirmation that with his size and having an outside pen- he should be okay?

Thanks
If your tortoise has access to outside, then you don't need a UVB light.