outdoor hibernation in the PNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
I thought I would share my experience with a Russian tortoise hibernating outside in our area this past season.

3 of my female Russians lived outside this past year, spending a good part of winter in an insulated Greenhouse with basking lights. In about December, they stopped eating, but would still bask for a few hours each day. I soaked them about once per week. They did have access to the outside, and the large female often took a brief stroll even with temps in the low 40's.

Bertha (aka Big Girl), went 'missing' in late March. I did some searching, but who can find a Russian tortoise that doesn't want to be found! :rolleyes:

The first week of June, my husband and I were having coffee in the backyard and my dog started staring at a spot inside the Tortoise enclosure (she is fenced out).

We saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krrndOtT0YM

Soon we saw more:

And after a couple of soaks later in the day, her first meal in 5-6 months:

This isn't something I would have planned (we had some very wet days in May), but I was very happy to see her!

Here is her burrow, about 1.5 feet in, toward a structure which I think helped protect her:

:D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
That's great info. That's my only real concern with my russians out all year, we have wetter winters than their homeland. I'm outside Salem, Oregon in the cascade foothills, how about you?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
just amazing how they can survive! Im actually going to let Shelby attempt to brumate this up coming winter. First i have to get rid of her parasites. >.<

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
how happy you were to see her!!

Lol I hit send too soon on my last post!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Jlant85 said:
just amazing how they can survive! Im actually going to let Shelby attempt to brumate this up coming winter. First i have to get rid of her parasites. >.<

That's the most important part of brumating, starting with a healthy tortoise. That said, I know many successful breeders that find no difference one way or the other, in regard to brumating their russian tortoises, for fertility.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Yeah I got plenty of time to ensure she's healthy. It's weird, out past winters didn't really start getting cold until late November early December. So will just have to see.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
ascott said:
What a fantastic Mud and bush ghillie suit!!!!!....lol :p

Ha, ha, she was completely coated!

Cowboy_Ken said:
That's great info. That's my only real concern with my russians out all year, we have wetter winters than their homeland. I'm outside Salem, Oregon in the cascade foothills, how about you?

Vancouver, Wa. Probably very similar weather. That's why they have the Greenhouse; the floor is theirs with gravel, soil and a rubbermaid hide with soil in it, then a small tortoise doorway to the outside run. So I also didn't restrict access to the outside, just provided drier options.
I agree the fact that we are 'wet' (no insulating layer of dry snow), is of concern. She apparently did not think so! :p

I think it is interesting how she adapted herself to our climate, in a way. She 'waited out' the wettest weather, and then brumated in Spring. Since she has come up, she has been about as active and, well, perky, as I have ever seen her.

LisaTurtle said:
how happy you were to see her!!

Lol I hit send too soon on my last post!

;);) I did the happy dance ;);)

Jlant85 said:
I think it is more natural to brumate Russian tortoises in areas with your weather. A dry hide with lots of loose soil and perhaps some leaves. Also secure from predators digging in (luckily we don't have raccoons, etc.). Mainly let your tortoise go through a spring/summer/fall being very active, eating well, etc.
I had Bertha for at least 2 years before she had this chance. So you might want to work on the parasites this summer and delay brumation until 2014, after another healthy/active summer. Just a thought.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You are very lucky. The first year I had Russian tortoises I allowed them to hibernate outside (and we have much less rain than you PNW'ers do), and out of 30 or so original Russians, I ended up with about 15. (My figures may be a little off, as this was many years ago)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Again, it certainly wasn't planned.
However, I do think conditions can affect the outcome. She was under sweet woodruff which forms a dense root mat, and also under the structure you see in the last picture.

I am not advocating brumating tortoises outside unless you can be sure they are dry and can protect them from freezing. I am also not of the opinion that brumation is necessary.

I did brumate a male tortoise who was a very fussy eater, and either agitated or burrowing down inside, etc. That was in a wine cooler in my basement which is a controlled setting. (and was sadly empty).
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-71394.html
He is now eating just about everything and seems more content.

Status
Not open for further replies.