Outdoor For A Redfoot

jwr0201

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota, FL
OK - ZEROPILOT (Redfoot Wrangler)* has me almost convinced to get a Redfoot with the pix of what they can eat. That is a great post by the way. I want to get a juvenile that can safely and comfortably kept outdoors here in warm, muggy FL. So, what is the size / age that a *single* Redfoot tortoise can be housed completely outdoors in West Central FL? Size is probably most helpful, as I notice that most breeders refer to size rather than age.
*That name still cracks me up!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
OK - ZEROPILOT (Redfoot Wrangler)* has me almost convinced to get a Redfoot with the pix of what they can eat. That is a great post by the way. I want to get a juvenile that can safely and comfortably kept outdoors here in warm, muggy FL. So, what is the size / age that a *single* Redfoot tortoise can be housed completely outdoors in West Central FL? Size is probably most helpful, as I notice that most breeders refer to size rather than age.
*That name still cracks me up!
An adult male or female can be kept outdoors safely in a secure enclosure. That security will depend on the type of predators in your area. My walls and roof are just to keep out pooping feral cats. Not because of any actual predators.
An adult will be at least 7 to 8 years old. (Ish) a 20-30 year old can still be a decades long compaion.
And will be over 12" long.
At this size, males are usually cheaper/less wanted but make better singular pets in my opinion.
You will either need to incorporate a heated night house for those few below 55° nights. Or plan on carrying him inside some part of the house in a big tote on those nights.