Outdoor enclosure

DaVinci

Location (City and/or State)
South Wales
Hi, new here!

We have recently rescued a 3 year old tort from a friend. It’s definitely male, we think a Russian.

We’re planning an outdoor enclosure for him in this space54F28BC0-1524-43CA-A418-5FE25CF48D29.jpeg
What advice would you give on boundaries please? Am I safe assuming That the walled areas will have suitable foundations to avoid digging out? Obviously, will need to address the grass edge. What is best please?
Any other UK weather appropriate tips welcome!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi, new here!

We have recently rescued a 3 year old tort from a friend. It’s definitely male, we think a Russian.

We’re planning an outdoor enclosure for him in this spaceView attachment 302834
What advice would you give on boundaries please? Am I safe assuming That the walled areas will have suitable foundations to avoid digging out? Obviously, will need to address the grass edge. What is best please?
Not all tortoises dig, mine don't. You need to post a picture of your tortoise. If you don't know for sure what species it is, you won't know how to care for it. Grass edge, so? I'm not understanding.
You can make a pen out of different materials, I use cinder block. You need more information for us to
help you
100_3487.JPG
100_3906.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, new here!

Hello. Give this a read through:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is that artificial turf? Hybrid Bermuda?

If it were me building an enclosure there (for a Russian), I would take out the grass (because Russians don't eat grass, except for the brand new shoots).

Using the building as one side of the enclosure is a good idea. It is my experience with Russians they dig to shelter under a bush or clump of weeds, and not under the perimeter fence.

I first put down rectangular stepping stones called masonry caps then built my fence on that. I've had Russians for over 20 years and none has ever dug out.

What is the shade situation in that area?

DaVinci

South Wales
Not all tortoises dig, mine don't. You need to post a picture of your tortoise. If you don't know for sure what species it is, you won't know how to care for it. Grass edge, so? I'm not understanding.
You can make a pen out of different materials, I use cinder block. You need more information for us to
help you
View attachment 302836
View attachment 302837
I have outlined in the photo where we would fence off but am worried about him burrowing out if we don’t dig down where there is no wall.

DaVinci

South Wales
Is that artificial turf? Hybrid Bermuda?

If it were me building an enclosure there (for a Russian), I would take out the grass (because Russians don't eat grass, except for the brand new shoots).

Using the building as one side of the enclosure is a good idea. It is my experience with Russians they dig to shelter under a bush or clump of weeds, and not under the perimeter fence.

I first put down rectangular stepping stones called masonry caps then built my fence on that. I've had Russians for over 20 years and none has ever dug out.

What is the shade situation in that area?

It is currently a well loved & tendered lawn but we are planning on totally adapting it to meet his needs. The end that I am standing is in the shade most of the day then in the sun for around a couple of hours now. I took photos of him to reptile store & the gentleman said Russian but here are some pics.

C4C5F913-1399-4155-8F51-24F495386FEA.jpeg14F7E6F7-F1E8-4DD9-8C32-7896E395309D.jpegA5B984CE-6DB2-4194-AFE4-7A0CD310FBA8.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh that's a Russian, is he on rabbit pellets under your care? Nope, bad for him. Please read this for his care

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
Here is my outdoor enclosure that I’ve been working on today. It is made from stones from Home Depot. Looks good and can be moved or adjusted as needed. The larger enclosure is 12x20 and is for my soon to be 2 Aldabras.
The smaller enclosure is 4x8 and has a cover made from 2x3s and hardware cloth for my baby Sulcata. The smaller torts need protection from predators.

B4CBB6B2-0DA2-4420-83A6-30FE48E21675.jpeg855BCF3F-1559-4AC7-B928-0511964CCF77.jpeg

DaVinci

South Wales
Oh that's a Russian, is he on rabbit pellets under your care? Nope, bad for him. Please read this for his care
He was when we first had him, as that is what the previous owner had. I knew it wasn’t right so visited Reptile store armed with these pics for ID. He recommended a tortoise substrate mix which we will now also change. Someone shared that thread yesterday, and I have now ordered fine bark.

DaVinci

South Wales
He was when we first had him, as that is what the previous owner had. I knew it wasn’t right so visited Reptile store armed with these pics for ID. He recommended a tortoise substrate mix which we will now also change. Someone shared that thread yesterday, and I have now ordered fine bark.
It’s actually retailed as cat litter but either way. I wasn’t happy ?

DaVinci

South Wales
Here is my outdoor enclosure that I’ve been working on today. It is made from stones from Home Depot. Looks good and can be moved or adjusted as needed. The larger enclosure is 12x20 and is for my soon to be 2 Aldabras.
The smaller enclosure is 4x8 and has a cover made from 2x3s and hardware cloth for my baby Sulcata. The smaller torts need protection from predators.

View attachment 302920View attachment 302921
Thanks for sharing. It’s good to get an idea what people are doing successfully. The poor little guy had been in his vivarium with the doors off on the kitchen floor with a big dog about. He has the basking & UV lamps, had a water dish which he couldn’t fit in (now rectified), and I have bought some artificial foliage but I really want to get him set up outside, properly for when the weather is appropriate. Then plan to extend his inside set up for the colder months.

DaVinci

South Wales
It is currently a well loved & tendered lawn but we are planning on totally adapting it to meet his needs. The end that I am standing is in the shade most of the day then in the sun for around a couple of hours now. I took photos of him to reptile store & the gentleman said Russian but here are some pics.

View attachment 302848View attachment 302849View attachment 302850
Hi, new here!

I’ve got up & out earlier to check the sun positioning on the garden outlined in the photo above in the mornings. It’s still in complete shade from the garage.

So, we’re thinking maybe we should place him on the top tier, as in pics below. Easy to create shrub and shade. Not so to recreate the warmth and sunlight. Thinking of the importance of getting him warmed up in the mornings in Summer months. TYE7940399-4B7B-4292-A2C2-C40F05926958.jpeg4F93809F-EAF2-48AC-943E-28041C1C6BE6.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

View attachment 302920View attachment 302921
Holy cats, that's just beautiful. I love the stones, much prettier than cinder block

DaVinci

South Wales
Hello. Give this a read through:
Thanks Tom. This is great. We really want to do this right for him & that post is very comprehensive. We’ve had him just over a week, and have been away. The digging starts tomorrow to remove the grass. Would it be ok to leave some behind, or get it all out? TIA

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi you need to check sun and shade. I have a large outdoor run made with wire base, layer of stones and thfen orchid bark substrate with a wall of breeze blocks so far so good and no escape. Plant around the outside geranium, hybiscus and roses all favourites and useful to include in the DIY meal and the odd snack.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom. This is great. We really want to do this right for him & that post is very comprehensive. We’ve had him just over a week, and have been away. The digging starts tomorrow to remove the grass. Would it be ok to leave some behind, or get it all out? TIA
I think green growing grass is a good substrate for any tortoise, even if they don't eat it. I think this is one of those personal preference things. It could be argued that a manicured lawn is not a "natural" habitat for a Russian tortoise, but nothing about a backyard enclosure anywhere in the world is "natural". As long as there are no toxic lawn chemicals there, and its not sopping wet all the time, I don't mind leaving the grass. All of my tortoises are on dirt because I have a tough time getting lawn grass to survive at my ranch, but I've had them on grass in the past, and I admire with envy the the people who have tortoises living on a lush lawn in their yard.

No harm in doing half and half either.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
they can not stay outside so you need indoor accommodation and use outside as occasional good exercise area weather temp dependant.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
they can not stay outside so you need indoor accommodation and use outside as occasional good exercise area weather temp dependant.
I agree. I think having and indoor AND an outdoor enclosure is the best way to go, and offers the best of both worlds depending on the weather. Just makes life easy for you, and the tortoise too.

DaVinci

South Wales

Thank you. Yes, we plan on keeping his viv but putting it within a bigger indoor space, as we don’t feel that it is enough space on it’s own.

DaVinci

South Wales
Hi you need to check sun and shade. I have a large outdoor run made with wire base, layer of stones and thfen orchid bark substrate with a wall of breeze blocks so far so good and no escape. Plant around the outside geranium, hybiscus and roses all favourites and useful to include in the DIY meal and the odd snack.
Thanks Sarah. I posted more pics above, as initial spot we had chosen is in the shade until around 10am. Have chosen a more exposed spot now but will create shady areas with enclosure for him to snuggle and cool off.
Do you have any? How do you find managing them in the UK? ?