Outdoor enclosure

Steve_carter

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Nice pic! How old is she? My Russian is only 10months so he's inside at the moment so I can't really help you with the outdoor enclosures. Plenty of people on this forum mind will throw loads of ideas at you. :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I like kiddie pools for small Russians. I know they can't get out. The substrate can be deep enough to plant stuff, and allows digging. You can drag it to share, but moving it much is not real easy. A small child's sand box is firmer for moving, but not as deep.

Thadus

Ok but my question is would the tortoise be safe from like predators and all that

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
If you have predators, then you need a cover of some sort. My enclosures are in my fenced back yard.

Thadus

I have a fenced back yard too but like racoons hawks and all that can still get the tortoise

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I want to build a outdoor enclosure that is big, movable and is safe for my Russian tortoise. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Ps> here is a picture of my tortoise she is adorable View attachment 184712
As @Steve_carter mentioned, you'll definitely find a lot of ideas at the "Enclosures" Section.

And good luck.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
Little ones like yours need to have humidity, as I understand it it is NOT recommended that they be in an outdoor enclosure for extended periods. I have an adult mated pair, over 20 years of age, that are outdoors daily, but the 3 babies they had, now almost 6 months old, are in a covered and enclosed indoor habitat. I only bring them out for 30 minutes before or after their daily soak on nice warm days. If they do not have good humidity when very young, they can develope pyramiding ( not smooth shell). That is not good. I believe until they are 3-4 years that is the recommended protocol, enclosed humid environment and daily soaks.