Outdoor enclosure

rkelleh

Location (City and/or State)
Hanford, California
Thank you. I used that same list yesterday and was picking off the list and asking...took me an hour to pick out 5 plants...lol. I got a bit overwhelmed, so I think I will print the list and take with me and then just compare on it. They actually had desert torts there and so once I mentioned torts, they completely understood. They have a mulberry tree and said I can grab leaves here and there if I want since I don't have space for one at my house...very nice people. Even hung out with their torts for a bit...fed them mulberry leaves...totally made my day. Then when home I cross referenced the plants a few times to double check myself. I got some work in today. I went with ice plant for the cinder blocks, got the hibiscus and deer grass in the ground today. I decided not to run the wood around the cinder blocks and to use it to build a shade cover for them at the opposite end of this photo. I need to get more blocks to run along the back of the fence as my ocd is kicking in on that. I am also going to make different levels in the enclosure. I dug down a bit and covered the clay pot. Am hoping the ice plant will spread a bit and trail over for some more shade for them. Still work in progress but it is coming along. Am also going to set up a sprinkler system as well once I get everything in place. Thanks again for everything...you have been very helpful. Even though our air quality is horrible with the fires around us, I just had to get out and work on it. Wish I could have brought the torts out today but won't during these conditions.

Attachments

• 0912151338.jpg
    0912151338.jpg
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 14

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Looking good! Way better then mine, lol. I had an infestation of nutsedge so I killed off all grass and weeds so everything is brown, lol. Got to wait 7 days before I can start doing anything, I got special killer and it will be safe in 7 days to start replanting stuff.
I love ice plant. I have some and it spreads real well. Once it's established and grows out some you can pull longer strands off your plants and stick it in dirt and it will root and make another plant. I literal bought a half dead one (on discount of course) and nurses it over the summer a few years back and now I have it everywhere. The moss rose, bought some last year just to add color, it was labeled annual but it all popped back up this year, bigger then last year too. My memory is real bad, I forget where u live but if it's a warmer area, I would suggest wondering Jew. That stuff will go mad. It's pretty and makes great lite shade spots. I have it growing in random spots in the yard from where I've threw out broke off pieces. That stuff grows if you get it within 5 foot of some light and dirt. Lol.
I literally started with this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442107033.865018.jpg
And after I have cut a 1/3 of it off and used for the Aldabra enclosure and I cut enough to fill a 4" pot with it I still have this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442107170.113580.jpg

Mine isn't as dark purple as it can get cause it's sitting under a couple tropical trees on my covered porch. My Aldabra eats it everytime I put it in his enclosure. Last time I put it in a 4" pot and he still got to it, so now I'm growing another pot full and will stick it in there once it's big enough that he can eat some and still have plenty for a hide out. Lol. I have to bring mine in during winter cause it's not tough enough to handle the snow but in the warm months I put it outside. I'm thinking of starting some in my enclosures next spring, that should be interesting. I'm also thinking about planting some veggie in a few cinder block holes too. Maybe squash and couple melon plants, the vines can hang over in enclosure for torts and the kids can have the melons (if any produce). That will be next spring tho.

I was actually thinking about your concern about the torts ruffing up their shells against the cinder block today. I picked up some day lilies and I was imagining where I would possibly put them and I think I will put mine along the cinder blocks, kinda snug, I figure that would kinda hide the cinder block and would encourage the lilies to drape over toward center of enclosure, they could still use as shade but be protected from getting against the blocks. Just a thought. I ain't 100% on that yet. I'm still planting the kudzu in the blocks and that should handle the blocks inside and out. Lol. I had plans on digging up weeds around and planting in enclosures but besides a handful of ones I know for certain I can't get positive ID on others so I'm looking around online now for a good seed mix, so I can mix the weed mix with my new grass seed I got to put down. I've got till next Friday before I can do anything else with my enclosures so I figured I'd spend this time gathering stuff up.

Your lucky to have a flower place that understands your after tort friendly foods. The lady's at my local nursery look at me like I've lost my mind. Course if I ever paid their full price for anything I would b checking myself too.
I get overwhelmed still myself sometimes. Frustrated too. That's y I screen shot stuff, I can pull it up in my photos and reference back easier. I have some specific things I'm wanting to add, I'm going to sit down and see if their safe and if so I will make me a list and get them. Last year I was
Completely new to this and it was a nightmare. This year I did it different. I go to store, find things I like and then check them against safe list, if their safe I go back the next day and get them. I still keep my list in my pics tho in case I come across something on a discount table or I end up at a plant store and wasn't planning on it, I have a bunch of "older gardeners" for neighbors and they are all about sending the torts stuff. I usually have to check my list when one of them informs me she was thinking about digging this or that up for the "turtles". (That's what they call em).
I've been lucky and most the stuff they give me is safe or at least ok for my landscape, I can't dare turn a plant down so if it's not safe it's still going into my landscape anyways. I worry I would hurt their feelings, I think it's sweet they've sit and thought about my torts.
It rained all day here so I got nothing accomplished. The night temps are dropping now, tonight's in the 50s tomorrow in the 40s so I really must get things done. I still have to rearrange my own enclosure so I can get all the tropical a I grow back inside. Lol.

I was thinking about putting in some hills and such things this year too. Plain old flat ground is boring, I figured I would have to add like bags of top soil or something. I'm really leaning towards doing an underground hide in each enclosure too, I think that would be neat, and natural looking.

rkelleh

Hanford, California
I have tried taking pieces and starting a new plant like that...I always fail but my mom and friend does it like no tomorrow...Lol. I will keep trying though. One day I will figure it out. My step dad was all excited about the torts that he sent me home with tons of aloe plants. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it is a sparingly food. They keep popping up babies too, so I have aloe going like crazy. Ended up giving a ton away in the summer and then had to toss a good chunk too...which was a tough decision..but what can you do when you give it away for free and still have a ton left. I will prob put one plant in the enclosure. I looked up the banana tree I have and it is a red leaf banana tree, so I was glad to know what type it is. I'm in California, so it doesn't get as cold as you, but I will have to cover some plants when the frost hits. Crossing fingers for this wet winter everyone is hoping for. It will help with the ground and soften it up a bit so I can make layers a lot easier. I came across red ants today, so I have to research how to get rid of those organically. Always a challenge, but I am enjoying it.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
That's funny, I can't grow aloe to save my life. I'm not good w succulents.

As for the fire ants, of course keep torts out of area for a bit, don't want the ants getting them, but use this. Make sure it's food grade.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442115724.399117.jpg

rkelleh

Hanford, California
Went to 3 stores locally and couldn't find the plant safe, so I will have to see if can order online. Thank you for the info. Made more progress today, but will slow down now as I have to build a cover and run a sprinkler system, and then do some different levels. I think I am going to plant the banana tree where the shovel is, but not sure yet. I humped 8 brick in and then realized I got the bigger size. I made it work...lol. I hope you have been able to get some outside fun in today. Take care.

Attachments

• 0913151433a.jpg
    0913151433a.jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 15

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Went to 3 stores locally and couldn't find the plant safe, so I will have to see if can order online. Thank you for the info. Made more progress today, but will slow down now as I have to build a cover and run a sprinkler system, and then do some different levels. I think I am going to plant the banana tree where the shovel is, but not sure yet. I humped 8 brick in and then realized I got the bigger size. I made it work...lol. I hope you have been able to get some outside fun in today. Take care.
WOW, I would say progress, you look almost done. Lol.
It's looking GREAT!
Weather still bad here, high of 69 and the sun only popped out here and there. It's dropping into the 40s tonight so I spent most the day getting some my more picky tropicals inside.
That stuff for the ants, I got mine at walmart in the insect killer section. I know I seen it at lowes too. I probably wouldn't worry to much about food grade if ya can't find it. Your baby's won't be in there til spring so if it has any harmful things they will be long gone by then. I am a big user of seven dust too. I only use the dust or liquid tho, I just don't like the granules. I use the seven dust on my dogs and the liquid form in their kennels and it don't hurt them so surely with the time between applying it amateur torts being in there you should totally be ok.
And I think where the shovel is would be perfect for your banana tree. That would look awesome!! You plant it now and you will have baby banana trees coming up next summer!!

rkelleh

Hanford, California
It was 95 degrees here today, so a big difference from your neck of the woods. Am glad you got some plants in for winter warmth. I didn't even think about Wal-Mart. I will have to swing by and check. I was looking at the area tonight and put one of my statues up. I think I found the perfect spot, and the torts can sit under it until they get bigger. Also found these little tortoise pieces. Had to pick them up. Please ignore the area behind...that is my new garden area. I need to get in there and till it up so I can start my annual compost. I have been having too much fun with the torts enclosure.

0913151904.jpg 0913151903.jpg

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Those are adorable. I didn't think about things like that. I got some little Japanese houses that I didn't really have a spot for, perhaps I do now! Lol. Things are coming along nicely for you. You can really focus all your time on the torts and not even realize it. I do it all the time. My house is proof. I started to stay in last week and work on it but said forget it, I'm going to stuck in there for 4-5 months here shortly, I'll focus on the inside then. Lol.

rkelleh

Hanford, California
It rained here today...yay as we so needed it. Burned my negative energy from work today and put in the banana plant...even in the rain. I love being productive with negative energy. Sounds crazy, but it was relaxing in the end to dig that hole...lol. We have our own little farm in our little city. Rabbits, chameleons, torts, cats, dogs, frogs, and fish. Most of my free time is taking care of my 'other' kids..lol. I am not an inside person but with the cold coming, indoors will be a primary thing. Am saving those projects for the cold season. I just hope it stays cooler now and that we actually see a winter out here. Hoping for good weather on your end. Have a great week.

Attachments

• 0914151927.jpg
    0914151927.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 9