Outdoor Enclosure Wood Floor Substrate for no termites

Status
Not open for further replies.

heathedw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham AL
I'm building an outdoor enclosure for my sulcata. The floor will be made of wood. I will use a sealant on the floor. Currently, he sleeps in a burrow (upside down kid pool) with cypress mulch on the ground during the summer.

His new winter enclosure with a roof and heat will have a wood floor and I was going to use cypress mulch but started thinking the floor would rot and cause termites.

Any ideas for flooring and substrate? Would the sealant be enough to stop rotting and termites? I heard hay doesn't soak up urine well but maybe it's a safer bet.

Thanks in advance. Getting cooler so I got to knock out in a few weeks.

I did just read about using a shower curtain liner. Would that maybe the way to go?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I personally to not have a sulcata....so my post will give your thread a bump for the folks that do....
:p
BUUUMMMMP

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My hubby and I were looking at building materials at Lowe's the other day. There was a product that he mentioned that would be good for a floor (we have termites here too) but I can't remember the name of it. It is a thin hard concrete board that is used in shower stalls under the tile to keep water out of the walls. It can be sawed (sawn?) to fit. Someone else might know the name of the product.

Any opinions on using this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.