Outdoor enclosure questions

Ida K

Hello everyone! I'm currently starting the building of an outdoor enclosure for Oliver, my RT. I don't have the measurements with me at the moment, but I do have some questions.
Are redwood planks okay to use?
What exactly is hardware cloth?
What is best to cover the top (we have many predators in my area).
What is the best thing to use as a shelter-type thing?
I planted clover, california poppy, chia, kale, collards, dandelions, and mustard and radish greens. Will i have to feed him or will he graze on these?
Also, what is the best sealant to use??

I just want the best for Ollie :)

Much thanks,
Ida

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Measurements, even really rough ones, can helps us to give you better answers/suggestions. Also is this going to be one you can standup and walk around in to do work OR is this going to just be a short height enclosure?

Hardware cloth is just a mesh wire that is pretty sturdy and holds up well. Bigger mesh holes then like window screen and smaller then chicken wire holes, but you can choose from a variety of mesh (hole) sizes.

Ida K

Measurements, even really rough ones, can helps us to give you better answers/suggestions. Also is this going to be one you can standup and walk around in to do work OR is this going to just be a short height enclosure?

Hardware cloth is just a mesh wire that is pretty sturdy and holds up well. Bigger mesh holes then like window screen and smaller then chicken wire holes, but you can choose from a variety of mesh (hole) sizes.
It is sort of like an L shape but not exactly. The sides are 22 inches, 50 inches, 34 inches, 17 inches, 22 inches, 18 inches, and 50 inches. Attached is a drawing of the shape. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402981554.126948.jpg

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They climb, so allow for the depth of the substrate + the height of the animal stretched out on tiptoes reaching to the sky + a bit more.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Why not make it a real L shape? That would increase the surface area. What is the point of cutting off the sharp angle?

22" is a bit narrow. Consider the size of the soaking saucer plus the size of your tortoise. Do you want it to have to walk through the water dish - or avoid it- all the time?

Ida K

Why not make it a real L shape? That would increase the surface area. What is the point of cutting off the sharp angle?

22" is a bit narrow. Consider the size of the soaking saucer plus the size of your tortoise. Do you want it to have to walk through the water dish - or avoid it- all the time?
That is the how the concrete is. Attached are some photos. Oliver is there for a size comparison.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403051254.793424.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403051298.640057.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403051363.365019.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I can't quite tell what is the tall gray metal looking thing? He might be able to climb up that, it seems they can practically climb straight up anything :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am not sure about the redwood planks. It's outside, so that gives a bit more leeway in things you can use that would be total no no inside. Are you thinking redwood to blend in with your deck or whatever or do you have some used planks laying around?

Your going to need to have lips all the way around to block him climbing out, especially with all those corners. Your going to fence around that unit too, right? I would make small sectional pieces for the lid. Less weight and size to try opening all the time. Less issues trying to make all those angles on one lid section. You could go PCV pipe for the lid and then hook the wire on with plastic ties.

I would really watch (if that is an A/C unit) that it doesn't add even more heat, then what Mother Nature is throwing at your tortoise. Lots of shade will help.

He will no doubt graze on those items, but you will most likely want to be also feeding him. That will also keep him from completely killing off all plants in what will seem like over night.

Is this just for daytime with supervision, just daytime. or 24/7?

Ida K

I am not sure about the redwood planks. It's outside, so that gives a bit more leeway in things you can use that would be total no no inside. Are you thinking redwood to blend in with your deck or whatever or do you have some used planks laying around?

Your going to need to have lips all the way around to block him climbing out, especially with all those corners. Your going to fence around that unit too, right? I would make small sectional pieces for the lid. Less weight and size to try opening all the time. Less issues trying to make all those angles on one lid section. You could go PCV pipe for the lid and then hook the wire on with plastic ties.

I would really watch (if that is an A/C unit) that it doesn't add even more heat, then what Mother Nature is throwing at your tortoise. Lots of shade will help.

He will no doubt graze on those items, but you will most likely want to be also feeding him. That will also keep him from completely killing off all plants in what will seem like over night.

Is this just for daytime with supervision, just daytime. or 24/7?
the top will be fully covered, as will the sides. we will extend hardware cloth about 8 inches into the ground also. I'm looking to use planks, our home depot has redwood planks so I was wondering if i could build the walls with that. I did some research and apparently it's toxic? I'll play it safe and look for an alternative. you are correct, it is an a/c unit. it is for daytime only, 6 am to about 6-7 pm, not very much supervision. If the mornings are cold, do I include a heating pad? Here it gets warm about 8. I know I will need a shelter incase of rain when I am not home.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I used pressure treated wood from Home Depot for my outdoor enclosure but I don't know exactly what kind of what it was. You could build a cold frame or perhaps put plexiglass or glass over part of it to make part of it warm in the mornings or if it rains. There is some discussion of that in my thread on L-shaped enclosure. I don't know how to link to that thread sorry. I was lucky to figure out how to download a picture :)