Outdoor enclosure progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
Well, our progress isn't moving along as fast as I would've liked. We've had a lot of rain and to top it off I've managed to stress fracture my fourth metatarsal! I wasn't much help to my husband. I also wish I would've taken more pics along the way, but it was hard limping around! So here is what we have.

Tina's enclosure is 8'x 8' . We still need to backfill and plant and get the top on.
31320189.jpg

I managed to get the babies out for lunch too
d19c4518.jpg

I will add more pics when I can... Stupid foot!! I will now take my prescribed vitamin d as I am supposed to!! Take care

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The design is fantastic. I love the wire bottom and sinking it into the ground will keep it much cooler in the hot summer. Man you don't mess around. You do it right the first time! 8x8' for a hatchling is AWESOME! Can't wait to see it all done.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Tom said:
The design is fantastic. I love the wire bottom and sinking it into the ground will keep it much cooler in the hot summer. Man you don't mess around. You do it right the first time! 8x8' for a hatchling is AWESOME! Can't wait to see it all done.

Thanks! This one will be for Tina. I don't know how old she is, but is 4.5" and 430g. The babies are getting their own. I have plenty of property, so expansion is not a problem! We picked 8 x 8 because that was already the size of the wood planks;). They are 2"x 12" x8'. One underground one above.

The wire may be overkill, but I'm paranoid! Gary said he has his enclosures on a slope , so when they burrow, they are going into the hill and not really under his enclosure. I do have a slope, but that area gets no sun. Grass doesn't even grow on it, only moss.

We are also building a patio next to where the two enclosures will sit. I'm planning on a gazebo on the patio. I can't wait!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You are going to find you will love sitting out there and just unwinding from the day watching your tortoises being themselves! Not to mention that it's a double bonus that most of the plants the tortoises like to eat are also ones humans find beautiful, but even more of a bonus are the butterflies that also love those plants. :D

Can't wait to see this further along... and stop hurting yourself. :tort:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Really nice! I have a sitting area near my torts' outdoor enclosure (built the tort enclosure around it, lol) and I love sitting out there. Darn things just mosey along, but for some reason it is fascinating.

Laurie

5 Year Member
I do love tort watching!! Tina gave it a quick trial run. We still need to fill and grow more. Really bad timing for my foot:( it has actually been bothering me for about two months now, finally got around to going to MD and getting MRI. Fourth metatarsal stress fracture :( I'm still working on my tort pen though :)

6df6eea4.jpg

570cf97d.jpg

Yes, she found the one rock in there
221974f3.jpg

Coming along
15757c78.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They are little buggers! She found the one rock! It continues to look great, love the hanging plants too!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I HATE any kind of injury or illness. I just have too much to do to slow down for that sort of thing. I popped a rib out the other day. The very same morning I had to drive 85 miles to Bakersfield, cut and load several hundred pounds of spineless opuntia, then drive back and unload it all. I couldn't reschedule, so I just popped some Advil and suffered.

In response to other's comments: I too LOVE just sitting and watching my tortoises from a distance. I love watching what they are doing, what decisions they make, how they do or don't interact, what they nibble on, where in the enclosure they go, etc.... It is one of the highlights of every day.

Laurie, I think you and your husband are creating a little bit of paradise there.

Status
Not open for further replies.