Outdoor enclosure progress thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
Hey guys and gals :) We moved recently and quickly dove into creating a proper outdoor habitat for the kids. I thought I'd go ahead and post our progress. Rather proud of myself (it doesn't take much really.)
We have this sort of code we follow in that we salvage, freecycle, craigslist, make, convert, barter etc things we need, that carried over into this project of course. For it we borrowed a truck and picked our neighbors wood piles and craigslist.
This clay is a nightmare! When it's dry it's nice and dry but when it's wet it doesn't drain well. Any tips for this? I'm wondering if I'll need to fill it with better soil. Anyone else have clay in there habitats?
I haven't figured out exactly how we'll place anything yet, I'm open for every single idea you have! I'm exhausted from getting far.
I will be putting a higher picket fence around the whole thing this week since this is in a pasture and I should be getting a couple goats this week.
Our neighbors sure are wondering what the odd new girl next door is doing to the old farm.

I also thought I'd attach an image of a new sulcata we have. Right now he/she roams the pasture by day and is brought inside at night. I hope to get another, much larger enclosure built for her as well, granted she is doing really good in the open pasture right now.

Any how, enough rambling, thank you in advance for any advice! I really appreciate it.

photo.PNG
photo (5).JPG
photo (6).JPG
photo (7).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
wellington said:
Nice, really nice. Grounds and tort.

Hey thanks! :) I have no new pictures of Echo (who the enclosure is for) so I figured I'd show that one.
I think the enclosure is too shady, I was considering having someone cut a limb on that left side to make that side sunnier. I don't know :/ (This was around noon)

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Still plugging away, the goats are making it an even greater challenge!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
More sun would be good, I love the log rounds! I hate to throw a wrench in things... Have you thought about burrowing? Will there be anything to stop him?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'd like to see it encompass (at least) three times the space currently allocated! Sulcatas get big!

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
pugsandkids said:
More sun would be good, I love the log rounds! I hate to throw a wrench in things... Have you thought about burrowing? Will there be anything to stop him?

We did! At first I dug it out (which was a pain seeing as how it's clay) more than a foot deep, planned to line it for better drainage and to create a burrow block, but then Tom let me know that his hardly ever burrow as intensely as I had panicked about. That they burrow to sleep, not so much tunnel like moles. I then filled it back in and put the logs up. Outside of the log perimeter there is a standard field fence topped with electric, if she gets through that there is then another field fence. (This is in the pasture within our property) I'm hoping that it's enough, we aren't planning to keep her overnight and at her size only let her out when we're home to check on her. The big girl gets the whole pasture and barn. Neither have burrowed yet, fingers crossed!!

DeanS said:
I'd like to see it encompass (at least) three times the space currently allocated! Sulcatas get big!

This enclosure is for the smaller one, she's about 8 inches now. I would estimate this starting enclosure is about 10 feet by 20 feet give or take. Do you suggest bigger for a girl that small? We made it simple so we can easily expand as time went on. The 18 pound girl is on 2 acres through out her day, and she walks every inch :p

Status
Not open for further replies.