Outdoor enclosure- opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlester22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
So here is the start of my outdoor area for my guys. I know it needs help. It's very basic right now. What would you guys suggest? My torts are small still so they won't ever be left in there without someone watching them. To many stray cats around.

1efffb42.jpg

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Taller plants that can be used for shade and hides.

Is that a water feature that spills over onto the rock below? If not then you will need a water dish big enough to soak and drink. (I say that because I have Box Turtles and RFs).

I would make the enclosure one more block taller. That way you wouldn't worry about them trying to climb out.

Of course you need hides and a feeding bowl or slate.

I think it is a good start and looks nice. I like it when we can incorporate a nice enclosure into our landscaping.

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Thanks. Those are all really good suggestions. Unfortunately, the "pond" doesn't do anything but look gross. I really want to do something with it but not sure what. It has no filter and no electrical close by.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
ok, how about replacing the water feature with a nice palm tree or other large plant? I think you will get better use from it, shade wise and not have to worry about mosquitos. You could also take it out and put your hides in that corner.

I am sure someone else will pipe in soon. But it really does look good

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Hmmm, the pond was here when we moved in. I'm almost scared to see what's in that corner should I start to tear it apart. I kinda like all the frogs that live in it. I guess I could empty it and use it as a plant pot. Or do you think that any fish could live in there? I honestly don't know much about pond care?

Oh and that pond doesn't contribute to the mosquito population half as much as as the natural spring in my backyard that keeps part of my yard flooded year round. So that's not really a factor in keeping it or not for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I vote to ditch the pond and give the tortoises more room. I think you ought to semi-bury the hide and pile dirt all around it and on top of it, to make it a little cave. That will keep it cooler as we get closer to summer and the temps start climbing. I'd sink a terra cotta plant saucer into the ground so it sits flush, for water. I'm worried that such small tortoises could use all the nooks and crannies on the backs of your blocks to climb out. You might need to put some sort of cap on the top with an overhanging lip. They will stay in there for months and never try to climb out and the one day when you walk away for two seconds, it will be up and over that wall...

In the not too distant future, be thinking about making the enclosure and the hide much bigger... I'll bet that by the end of summer, that hide will be too small.

It looks really nice and I love just the "feel" of it...

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Ok so that's 2 against the pond. Lol. Guess I'll see how hard it will be to take apart. Maybe I'll move it to a different part of the yard. Good suggestions everyone. Keep them coming.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
WOW! That was fast. Can you use the bricks that were around the pond and that half block in the pic to make an offset top layer on top of your enclosure wall there? That would make it impossible to get out, if they were ever able to shimmy up the inside wall there.

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
I used those blocks to raise the wall and relocated the pond, but I have all kinds of big flat stones that I can use to cap the wall with.

da98a844.jpg

So, not as pretty as it was but it's defiantly got more space now

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
It's going to be a little piece of heaven right there in your backyard. I already want to grab a folding chair and just come sit there.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Well done. You do work fast. I am sure they will enjoy the extra space. I like the cave idea that Tom suggested. Now we just need a few tall plants, water saucer and flat feeding rock and we are in business. Oh and the hides.

I like how the plant overhang creates an afternoon shade for you. That will be a plus in the summer when the sun really gets hot.

Good work. Now the real question, Do YOU like it?

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Thanks guys. Ya I like it but I'll like it better when it's finished. Lol. I'm thinking maybe a hibiscus in there would be nice. Maybe hanging some planters of tort food type plants on the wood wall. Gonna have to reseed the area where the pond was. Luckily everything grows fast here. And of course add in hides, water bowls and basking/feeding stones.

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Ok, done for today. I threw out some grass seed and covered all the exposed dirt with mulch. I measured it and it's actually bigger than I thought, now that the pond is gone. It's 8 ft by 8ft. Now to add a few finishing touches and the torts should be happy this summer.

8bbb6413.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would have left the dirt and less mulch.. but nice work!
now you can build a wire mesh top for it to keep the cats and birds out and they can live out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.