Outdoor Enclosure in Chicago

passwordstaco

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hi Everyone,

I had a Testudo graeca terrestris for almost a year now and haven't had any problems in an indoor enclosure while in dry California. I recently moved to Chicago and the humidity here is much higher, so I am excited at the thought of having an indoor and outdoor enclosure, but was not sure how successful that would be with the drastic temperature shifts around here. I have seen 1 day be 80+ degrees with 70% humidity and then the next day it lowers to low 70s with a very cool breeze. Not really sure how they will do with that. It also rains a lot, which I think might be too much for them.

Has anyone successfully raised them outside in a climate like this?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Compared to CA it rains a lot, but it doesn't really rain a lot.
Build an outdoor tortoise hide box that is insulated and heated for them to be in during the colder days and lock them up at night in the box.
The heat should be on a thermostat.
They can take temps as low 60 as long as they eventually can warm up under the sun or basking light.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh and you can raise them outside during summer, adults, not hatchlings upto 3 or so should be housed indoors and most times spring and fall. Depends on having a warm heated hide area and the actual temps each day.