Outdoor enclosure idea .. opinions pls :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mich

5 Year Member
So eventually I'd love to do the whole raised brick outdoor enclosure but right now my leopard tort is only 4yrs old and with other things on the go this summer as far as human-home reno's I'm looking for something that's not too costly but that still looks good and will hold up to our canadian winters because I'd rather not have to tear it down each fall. I was looking at fencing when I found this .. I love the idea that it's made from recycled materials and will never rot or warp. My tort isn't a digger and it's high enough that she couldn't climb over (plus I'd build a wodden frame/mesh lid covering the entire top to keep out predators). At 8'x8' it would last a few years, she'd only be in it during the day. I could even buy a 2nd and double the space later on quite easily.

What do you guys think? :tort:

rvg-1b_4_zpsca59ce12.jpg

Here's the link with pricing/material details

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/raised-garden-8-feet-x-8-feet-x-12-inch/951074

Oooh it gets even better .. I just found these as well and they fit right into the pre-built pieces and give additional height which would be nice too

sab-fia_4_zps3326e63a.jpg

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/small-animal-barrier-kit-4-feet-x-8-feet/951051

oscar

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I have used that material for a few hatchling outdoor enclosures. The material was left over from deck projects. I think it will last for years but very heavy and when putting a screw close to any end it splits so every hole has to be predrilled. The kit is nice but i would check out what the cost of the boards would be and might be cheaper to just buy material instead of kit.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Will be great and looks nice. But like Oscar said, you probably can do it cheaper with just buying deck lumber. Fencing lumber would probably be even cheaper and weigh less then the decking lumber. All, should last quite a few years.

Mich

5 Year Member
oscar said:
I have used that material for a few hatchling outdoor enclosures. The material was left over from deck projects. I think it will last for years but very heavy and when putting a screw close to any end it splits so every hole has to be predrilled. The kit is nice but i would check out what the cost of the boards would be and might be cheaper to just buy material instead of kit.

This stuff isn't deck material, in this pic its used as a raised garden, they also sell the exact same ones for playground boarders (but iy's only 6" tall and I'd want the 12" so I went with the garden type). It claims it won't not to split or splinter because it's not really wood, it's mostly plastic. Wooden boards I can paint with sealant etc but I live in Ontario Canada .. we get a ton of snow and our springs are very wet/soggy so I still think even protected wood sitting right on the ground would rot/need yearly preventative maintence.

Status
Not open for further replies.