Outdoor Enclosure for young RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Im trying to decide if i should do an outdoor enclosure at this time or not. He is only about to be 4 months old, I know he shouldnt be left out at night...Right???? And I'm a little afraid to leave him out at anytime without me out with him.... There are dogs next door but fenced in well, Hawks and cats all around, and i live in middle of no where, AL so there are all kinds of wild animals. Im sure i could make somthing secure but what all do i need in it for him other than his hide and a soak area.... I guess im more nervous about him getting dehydrated or overheated it gets pretty hot in the South East. What do yall think???

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Whatever you build be sure there is a top on it. Wire mesh to keep critters out but let sun and air in..

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Will do i had planed chicken wire on top and wood sides. Ive just read some pretty harsh stories which makes me a little afraid to even put him out

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yeah I would use a smaller wire cloth maybe 1/2 to 1/4 inch rats and such can easitly go through chicken wire and your guy is still small. I would also bring him in at night. They like lots of green stuff to hide in and under. RF are not real light loving torts.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I made boxes out of 1x2s and plywood, then I made a lid and used chicken wire on the bottom and on the lid. I put locks on the lid and then used shade cloth on half of it, so they have shade in the afternoons. So far my little ones have done well in there during the day and then they come in at night. But instead of chicken wire you could use the smaller wire, which works well.

0502081703.jpg

0514081859a.jpg

0514081859b.jpg

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Double or triple the chicken wire to make the holes smaller and the wire more rigid and you should be ok or get hardware cloth which is welded wire mesh and comes in 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 inch holes. 1/2 inch can allow rodents through. Chicken wire can be shredded by raccoons and possums even if used in multiple layers and rodents can maneuver around the wire.

Dawna

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
I'm glad you all said something about rodents, they didnt even cross my mind. jenrell23 whats funny is had looked at your enclosures earlier, and decided i was going to use them as a blue print. They look real good :D. Anyway thanks for all the help everyone it is much appriciated.

Oh jenrell23 what kind of plants are those inside the enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.