Outdoor Enclosure for my Russian

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
It has taken my two summers but it is now open for business. I got bermuda/fescue sod last summer and mowed it like a fairway till it browned for winter. I added two geranium I started from last year (it was 10 started to get 2). The pothos I grew off my existing plants in the indoor enclosure. The zinnias are from seed and are growing well. The plantain is a transplant and is very happy-it is also my torties favorite quick munch spot. I have a clay saucer for water, but also added a small chicken mason jar waterer for extra water. I put a 6" board offset around the edge to have an anti-climb and a shade edge. As you can see he likes that corner. The hide is a luxury Tigloo model 40 quart that I cut down and put in a door. I also spun it around so the drain plug is above the door to let hot air escape. The hide is filled with long strand peat moss- took some searching but Home Depot had it. My Tortie loves that box. The entire enclosure is 3.5' X 12' and lined with hardware cloth since all manner of burrowing creatures exist.Notice the big fence behind it, that is to keep My Shiloh Shepherd, Newfie, and Chow Chow SEPERATE. When I have done quick and supervised introductions they were fine, BUT I understand they are dogs and a tortie to a dog is a CHEW TOY. I live in Richmond City proper, but you think I was smack dab in the middle of the backwoods. I lost a chicken to a Cooper's Hawk- the Red Tail is afraid of the wires that surround my property- but to a Cooper's it is like a plyground. Then it's the opossums and raccoons, foxes, and yes coyotes. My Shepherd and My Newfie jumped one earlier this year in the park that is .5 miles from my house. Oh and a shout out to @Carol S for breeding awesome Russians. Now to convince the wife and build another enclosure for another tortoise-maybe a Leopard?

IMG_1773.jpeg IMG_1772.jpeg IMG_1770.jpeg IMG_1769.jpeg IMG_1768.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's great. I don't know how this got relegated way back to page 6 without any responses. It's in the proper subject thread. Oh well.

I like it. But I think you're going to be sorry you planted grass. Russians don't eat much grass and it's soon going to be so overgrown in there you won't be able to find the tortoise!

You did a nice job, and yes, @Carol S really does a good job raising great russian babies.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
It has taken my two summers but it is now open for business. I got bermuda/fescue sod last summer and mowed it like a fairway till it browned for winter. I added two geranium I started from last year (it was 10 started to get 2). The pothos I grew off my existing plants in the indoor enclosure. The zinnias are from seed and are growing well. The plantain is a transplant and is very happy-it is also my torties favorite quick munch spot. I have a clay saucer for water, but also added a small chicken mason jar waterer for extra water. I put a 6" board offset around the edge to have an anti-climb and a shade edge. As you can see he likes that corner. The hide is a luxury Tigloo model 40 quart that I cut down and put in a door. I also spun it around so the drain plug is above the door to let hot air escape. The hide is filled with long strand peat moss- took some searching but Home Depot had it. My Tortie loves that box. The entire enclosure is 3.5' X 12' and lined with hardware cloth since all manner of burrowing creatures exist.Notice the big fence behind it, that is to keep My Shiloh Shepherd, Newfie, and Chow Chow SEPERATE. When I have done quick and supervised introductions they were fine, BUT I understand they are dogs and a tortie to a dog is a CHEW TOY. I live in Richmond City proper, but you think I was smack dab in the middle of the backwoods. I lost a chicken to a Cooper's Hawk- the Red Tail is afraid of the wires that surround my property- but to a Cooper's it is like a plyground. Then it's the opossums and raccoons, foxes, and yes coyotes. My Shepherd and My Newfie jumped one earlier this year in the park that is .5 miles from my house. Oh and a shout out to @Carol S for breeding awesome Russians. Now to convince the wife and build another enclosure for another tortoise-maybe a Leopard?

View attachment 275256 View attachment 275257 View attachment 275258 View attachment 275259 View attachment 275260
Tort heaven. [emoji23]