Outdoor Enclosure for Hermanns~~Lots Of Photos~~

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello to you all: Thank you for visiting this thread. I’m fairly new here and I did learn a lot in a very short period of time as I registered become a member.

My wife and I bought a baby Sulcata tortoise when we went to a fish store to purchase some feeder fish for our 10 years old Red ear slider. We saw him in a small glass tank on the counter and marked as a “Store Pet”. My wife been a turtles lover for many, many year, and we just cannot leave the fish store without him. So we came home with him that day by twisted the owner’s arm.

I get on the Google right after we arrived home and soon found out he is the third largest Tortoise in the world and start to realize what we got ourselves into. That is April 2013. Now! Our life are now surrounded by total of 12 tortoises.

1 Sulcata.
3 Hermanns
1 Marginated
5 Leopard
2 Radiated

I build three indoor enclosure for Leopard, Radiated and Sulcata because they are all in baby stage.

I build an outdoor enclosure for three (1.2) Hermanns and one (1.0) Marginated tortoise. According to the previous owner, they are all about 3~4 years old.

This is a 4’ X 8 ‘ enclosure. This size minimized lots lumber cutting. I use all pressure treated 2X4. This enclosure are ½ on a concrete pad, ½ on the dirt garden.

I know Hermanns will love to dig for burrow so I dig a trench in the dirt side and buried some 12 inches bricks as a underground wall. The ½ of the enclosure will just set on top of that underground bricks wall.
IMG_0606.JPGIMG_0607.JPGIMG_0608.JPGIMG_0609.JPGIMG_0610.JPG

I add a 18 " chicken wire will on all four size. It will be easier for us to observe them.
IMG_0613.JPGIMG_0614.JPG

I use couple flower pot as hide for them on the dirt side and build couple more hide on the concrete side.
IMG_0623.JPG

One side of the enclosure I made a gate that can open to the entire concrete pad. The concrete pad are escape proofed but, never under estimate the escaping desire and capability of any tortoise. Especially Hermanns.
IMG_0629.JPGIMG_0630.JPGIMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0850.JPGIMG_0864.JPG

Then I build tow top screen door, 4 X 4 each to prevent night visitor looking nighttime meal.
IMG_0622.JPGIMG_0631.JPG

Below is a completed area shot. We hope you like this little place we set-up for our Hermanns and Marginated tortoise.
IMG_0869.JPG

Thank you for looking.

Some more photo after we put the grass part in the enclosure.
IMG_0745.JPGIMG_0625.JPGIMG_0628.JPGIMG_1291.JPGIMG_0706.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Over time I think you will find the concrete to be too abrasive. You might end up needing to cover it with dirt or some sort of substrate.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Tom said:
Over time I think you will find the concrete to be too abrasive. You might end up needing to cover it with dirt or some sort of substrate.

Hi Tom:

Thank you for your reply and suggestion. This winter i will expend another 4 X 4 section next to the dirt side. I hope that will give them more area to dig and may lay eggs one day. I found they like to enjoy the morning sun on the concrete side and retreated back under the hide by noon.

Let me study some more our door enclosure threat to get some ideas of what substrate I can put on top of the concrete.

Can you suggest some thing Tom?? Thank you for your advice.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Awesome! Thanks for the terra cotta pot hide idea! ;)

Lulabee247

Durham
Aw wow thankyou for including photos step by step, gives me an idea on where to start for my first outdoor enclosure. Very helpful 😉