Outdoor Enclosure for baby Cherry Heads?

aqualungs

Location (City and/or State)
Perry, OH
First question,for the first year should I just keep my 3 babies in their closed chamber indoors? One is almost 4 months and the other 2 are almost 2 months.

If, not I have a 2x4 temp enclosure I’d like to convert. I have a plastics greenhouse topper to hold in humidity if need be. I have a bad back, so I was going to make it a raised bed type enclosure on legs with 2x4s. I would also add a wire mesh top that is lockable. The bottom portion would have framed out mesh for drainage. If I went this route could I use outdoor poly on the wood?

The other option is a kiddy pool or large cement mixer tub, with a DIY mesh top. Thanks guys!

aqualungs

Perry, OH
Oh yes I live in Northeast Ohio. We probably have 50-60% humidity during he warm months. Except when it gets pretty hot around 86-95.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
**I Forgot to mention this is for only for a few hours a day with supervision.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I think it’s perfectly acceptable for tortoises of all age to go outside in the sun but just don’t over do it. I think some people on here recommend 1 hour per inch of shell.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My hatchling is in a closed chamber but What I do is I have a small kiddie pool that's planted so there is some shade. I put her out there for about 6-8hrs once every weekend.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
My hatchling is in a closed chamber but What I do is I have a small kiddie pool that's planted so there is some shade. I put her out there for about 6-8hrs once every weekend.

Nice! Do you have a screen top or anything? We do have an outdoor cat and a nosy neighbor kid. I was looking at the kiddy pool design and making a screen top.
I mocked up this quick sketch for a more secure idea. I have a fenced in privacy fence that is locked but you never know. The middle part is showing a 36” cement mixer with drainage holes, that I could drop into a frame made with 2x4s. I would make a locking hinged screen top for that portion. The circle cutouts are for clay pots and would allow multiple sizes. I can grow food in clay pots. IMG_0005.jpg