Outdoor Enclosure, Beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
How I spent my spring break....

Day 1, Wednesday. My BF was gone all afternoon/evening, reffing soccer games in Green River. I measured the enclosure area, bought materials, and painted the boards. Temp was mild for here, about 50 degrees and not too much wind. I got a first coat on everything, second coat on some of it.

Day 2, Thursday. BF home all day, tried to talk me into a much smaller enclosure with no success. BF wanted to wait for a nicer day to build, but I told him that when it's nice enough out to build, it will be nice enough for torts to be in their little yards. I lined out the perimeter of the enclosure and set landscaping timbers in level. One stretch needed two timbers high, the rest only one timber. When the foundation was ready, BF helped get the little fence put together. It was windy and cold while we worked, and there were snowflakes from time to time.

Day 3, today. BF reffing here in town. There was snow on the ground this morning. Weather.com said it was supposed to be warmer and less windy after lunch, so I waited to work outside. I put a second coat of paint on where needed, did some repair on the under-porch lattice. I put hail screen over the lattice, added soil to low places, created a couple of hills. I raked in seeds: chickory, red clover, plantain. Watered the whole thing.

The whole enclosure is 19.5'x7.5'. The shrubs are 90 year old lilacs, and there's grass, dandelions, and some kind of ground cover I'll have to ID later. Our temps will be too cold for torts outside for the forcastable future, but at least the soil can be settling and little plants can start growing. In addition to the seeds I planted outside, I have 10 strawberry plants and a package of pansy seeds to start indoors. I'll add water bowls when the little pens are actually in use.

IMG_0054.jpg

This is the smaller side.
IMG_0055.jpg

I found this little hose attachment hiding in one of the bushes.
IMG_0057.jpg

Oops! That was a different thread, wasn't it?!

Anyway, next time it gets even vaguely warm here, I'm ready!!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Looks good so far, and yes the attachment was another thread, but it cool either way..

LindaF

5 Year Member
Looks great! Your love for your torts really shows.

M

Maggie Cummings

Oh Edna,it looks like you are living in one of those houses I want...with a front porch and everything...I am so jealous!

You never answered me about the truck stop down the road from you at exit 125 I think, now I can't remember...Best burgers around...

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
maggie3fan said:
Oh Edna,it looks like you are living in one of those houses I want...with a front porch and everything...I am so jealous!

You never answered me about the truck stop down the road from you at exit 125 I think, now I can't remember...Best burgers around...

Yes, Maggie, I am a porch person! When my shrubs are in full leaf, I can be a porch person with nearly complete privacy. I have a glider at one end of my porch, and the low wall has a wide top so I can put pots of flowers on it. It's the perfect place for morning coffee, afternoon beer, evening wine. And now it will be the perfect spot to sit an keep an eye on my torts!
I haven't been to the truck stop at Rock Springs, so have not tried their burgers. I've only been that way twice: once for a bicycle/quilt thing in Green River last summer, and once when we went to shop at the Home Depot or Lowes, whichever they have over there. I'll have to give the truck stop a try!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looks great! Love how it blends into your house like it has always been there. What color are your lilac's blooms?

So nice to hear you two talking about Rock Springs and Green River and actually know where those places are. lol

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Jacqui said:
Looks great! Love how it blends into your house like it has always been there. What color are your lilac's blooms?

So nice to hear you two talking about Rock Springs and Green River and actually know where those places are. lol
Thanks, Jacqui! The lilac on the left is white, the other two are... lilac in color. I wanted to make the enclosure look right for the house, which eliminated a lot of commonly used materials. The paint color was too easy. I picked it from paintchips at the store, didn't even bring them home to compare to the foundation paint.

You know, for travelors in the pioneer days it was important to know every watering hole, every possible resource along your route. I live right off I80, the Lincoln Hwy, really close to the Mormon Trail and the Oregon Trail. Things are really not so different for us now. If the sign says "Next Services 97 Miles" you'd best pay attention to that. People who travel this way get to know where the best resources, including really good hamburgers, are.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That looks great! I love the tree's inside the enclosures. That should add some great shade for the torts!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Edna said:
You know, for travelors in the pioneer days it was important to know every watering hole, every possible resource along your route. I live right off I80, the Lincoln Hwy, really close to the Mormon Trail and the Oregon Trail. Things are really not so different for us now. If the sign says "Next Services 97 Miles" you'd best pay attention to that. People who travel this way get to know where the best resources, including really good hamburgers, are.

:D To me Rawlins, depending on which direction we are going, signals either the start or finish to one of my favorite (well except during bad winter weather or windy times with a very light trailer) stretches of road on I80. I love driving it, so I can watch for all the great wildlife.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Jacqui said:
Edna said:

:D To me Rawlins, depending on which direction we are going, signals either the start or finish to one of my favorite (well except during bad winter weather or windy times with a very light trailer) stretches of road on I80. I love driving it, so I can watch for all the great wildlife.

I was sitting here trying to decide which direction from Rawlins, but then I thought of the elk herds between here and Laramie. I don't ever get to see the wild horses that way, though. They are more between here and Casper.
Have you had the honor of being trapped in Rawlins, with the interstate closed?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Edna said:
I was sitting here trying to decide which direction from Rawlins, but then I thought of the elk herds between here and Laramie. I don't ever get to see the wild horses that way, though. They are more between here and Casper.
Have you had the honor of being trapped in Rawlins, with the interstate closed?

:D Atleast once. :D We spent the night on an off ramp (everywhere else was already filled). Have had a few really scarey times along that stretch. :D

To my knowledge I have not gotten to see any wild horses, but since they don't wear signs saying, "Hey, I am a wild mustang!" I can never be sure. :cool: SO they are more toward Casper, huh? Have to keep that in mind, because they are one of my main "must see" in the wild animals.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Jacqui said:
To my knowledge I have not gotten to see any wild horses, but since they don't wear signs saying, "Hey, I am a wild mustang!" I can never be sure. :cool: SO they are more toward Casper, huh? Have to keep that in mind, because they are one of my main "must see" in the wild animals.

LOL If there were such signs ALL the little horsies would want to wear them! Wild horse bands as seen from the highway don't look or act different from ranch horse bands, but I was told when I moved here that any horses seen between here and Casper are wild horses. There are just a few small holdings right outside of town here, more small holdings in the few miles this side of Casper, but in between there's the big open and we do see horses out there.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Horses aside,;), will you need to add a top somehow? Or will you bring them in or lock them in a hide, or not an issue?
(that is, if it ever warms up).
I love the look of your enclosure, very natural...

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
lynnedit said:
Horses aside,;), will you need to add a top somehow? Or will you bring them in or lock them in a hide, or not an issue?
(that is, if it ever warms up).
I love the look of your enclosure, very natural...
Last summer I don't think there were more than one or two nights when the temps stayed above 65 overnight. We also have mountain lions in town as well as roving dogs, etc. My plan is to have the torts out there only in the day, and only when I'm outside as well. They sleep all night anyway, might as well let them sleep indoors safe and sound.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those will be some happy torts. I have all my little ones sleep inside too. I just don't see any reason to risk it. It only takes 10 seconds to carry them in or out. I can't wait to see the pics of them in there with all the greens growing.

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
Very cool tort set up. What kind of torts do you have?

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Looks awesome! You did a very nice job. You will have happy torts indeed :0)

Status
Not open for further replies.