Outdoor enclosure and advice

KoopaLove

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
Hello! We are building an outside enclosure and wanted to get your input. I’ve also included pictures of Koopa. ? We think he is 3 years old but seems small so does that sound right? We live in Texas.

For the enclosure:

1. We are going to seal off any cracks with foam insulation. Is that ok?

2. No airflow as far as openings are needed and trying to get it completely sealed is the best thing, right?

3. I’m worried about pyramiding, does he look ok to you? We haven’t had him since a baby. We keep it above 70% humidity.

4. Recommendations for a heat source? I was thinking a oil radiator closed off like I’ve seen before. Then maybe a Kane mat on one side?Currently he is in our laundry room since it’s too cold at night, in a dog house with a CHE and then I have a UVB light for days it’s too cold outside. Keep it 80 at night and then up to 95 in the day. That is only when it is too cold outside though, of course prefer the sun! The goal is to get this outdoor enclosure ready quickly so he has more room. Most days he walks his yard area though.

5. For flooring, we were thinking of soil or cypress mulch. Any suggestions?

6. I keep a water dish and some days it seems like he is so thirsty and drinking a lot. Wonder if we are drying him out with the CHE?

Also, I soak every other day and he eats mostly grass. Then twice a week I give Mazuri with a bit of calcium powder, mix of grass and something like collared greens, mustard seed or kale. Also cactus and aloe occasionally.

Appreciate any advice!

64AB928D-7532-4812-B695-9E24899301CB.jpeg05C19C96-E872-4549-9B31-AE9D1D0346FE.jpegE8812C4A-008A-4C0C-909E-C6EAE3FD777F.jpeg59905F67-83CD-451A-A6D9-63184FA98D0E.jpegFB530911-370A-4CB5-A30C-A9C36141C019.jpeg24E7D3A6-8259-46CE-967E-74E1C5A4C120.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes he is pyramiding, but its getting too late to do much about it now.

I don't see a door in your night box.

Sealing is good.

CHEs do dry them out.

You can't use substrate with a Kane mat.

The oil heater should do it, but you made it a bit too tall inside, so you'll have to watch the thermometer to know.

That little picket fence is not a good way to go. They need something stronger and opaque. They shouldn't have anything they can see through for walls. They need a visual barrier all around.

KoopaLove

San Antonio

Sealing is good.

CHEs do dry them out.

The oil heater should do it, but you made it a bit too tall inside, so you'll have to watch the thermometer to know.

That little picket fence is not a good way to go. They need something stronger and opaque. They shouldn't have anything they can see through for walls. They need a visual barrier all around.

Thank you for your input! We haven’t nailed down all the wood so it can be lower. So I’ll talk to my husband. The door will be on the left going into his yard.

That’s what I thought about the pyramiding :(

On the fence we do have something at the bottom blocking for now but maybe we will just use logs instead. I’ll look into it more.

Good to know on the substrate and CHE. Hopefully he won’t need that soon.

KoopaLove

San Antonio

Sealing is good.

CHEs do dry them out.

Does this look like a better height? Or what is best?

81F0AB5E-9BAF-4F72-9BDF-0C2017DBC81D.jpeg

KoopaLove

San Antonio
Sorry one more photo, this is where he is until it gets warmer, around 1pm and then he gets his full area outside. Is that lightbulb too close? What is the ideal distance? I have an area he can move to if it’s too hot. Shell is 98 right now.

I really want the best for him or her (not sure) so really appreciate the help!

CFA376AD-01FA-4D3A-BE8F-1398B11D738B.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's hard to tell from a picture with nothing visual next to the wall to go by, but I thought your original wall height was ok.??? and the new height s too short. What are the measurements?

KoopaLove

San Antonio
It's hard to tell from a picture with nothing visual next to the wall to go by, but I thought your original wall height was ok.??? and the new height s too short. What are the measurements?

Original was a little over 2ft and this is 1ft. We have the wood to go higher. 2ft seem ok? We want it high enough for when he gets big.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would have made it 2', but then, I don't use the night box. Let's wait for @Tom

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just to add the floor looks like chipboard (OSB) which is terrible with moisture ie. tortoise urine and will rot/fall apart quickly. A regular plywood will last must longer and install it in a way to easily change it later when it rots. Sadly it will rot no matter the wood you use, but you will ne prepared for it. Looking good and you can't go wrong with Tom helping

KoopaLove

San Antonio
Just to add the floor looks like chipboard (OSB) which is terrible with moisture ie. tortoise urine and will rot/fall apart quickly. A regular plywood will last must longer and install it in a way to easily change it later when it rots. Sadly it will rot no matter the wood you use, but you will ne prepared for it. Looking good and you can't go wrong with Tom helping

Thank you for mentioning that. Can we put plywood over it? We have wooden planks, then an insulation board then the OSB right now.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Thank you for mentioning that. Can we put plywood over it? We have wooden planks, then an insulation board then the OSB right now.
I would use something that is waterproof (thick mil poly) in between the two. if you measure right it should just drop in and would need fasteners.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does this look like a better height? Or what is best?

View attachment 315469
I make mine 24 inches tall outside for adult sulcatas. This works out to around 21.5 inches inside with the floor and insulation. In a correctly made box, this height will allow these heating strategies to maintain 80+ degree on a night with temps in the high 20s.

I don't think landscape timber is a good way to go because of all the air gaps. As the wood ages and sits out in the weather it will warp.

Here is the way to make a night box:

I agree with Blackdog about the OSB. I never use that for any part of a tortoise box. It doesn't hold up and I also don't like the smell of it. Plywood all around is the best way to go.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada

Sealing is good.

CHEs do dry them out.

I have a heavy shop mat under my kane mat, is that ok? Oh and this is my Koopa! Enclosures coming along great! Love to see the out door ones being built.

2D96062D-87FE-4A0E-B662-97214120C829.jpeg

tortlvr

Today is my birthday!
San Diego Ca
Sorry one more photo, this is where he is until it gets warmer, around 1pm and then he gets his full area outside. Is that lightbulb too close? What is the ideal distance? I have an area he can move to if it’s too hot. Shell is 98 right now.

I really want the best for him or her (not sure) so really appreciate the help!

View attachment 315471
It looks like you are using a red light for heat. CHE is a better choice.

KoopaLove

San Antonio
Can someone also recommend a mini oil heater? I found this one but just want to be sure I get a good one.
It looks like you are using a red light for heat. CHE is a better choice.

I use the attached during the day when it’s too cold for sun time. At night I have a CHE. It gets the area beneath him 95. At night I drop temp around 80. I really can’t wait until his outdoor place is done, it will be much better for him and me! The set up right now is not ideal and I’m constantly checking and rechecking! I have a temperature controller with alarm but still concerned. My husband thinks I’m nuts how obsessed I have become lol

KoopaLove

San Antonio
I make mine 24 inches tall outside for adult sulcatas. This works out to around 21.5 inches inside with the floor and insulation. In a correctly made box, this height will allow these heating strategies to maintain 80+ degree on a night with temps in the high 20s.

I don't think landscape timber is a good way to go because of all the air gaps. As the wood ages and sits out in the weather it will warp.

Here is the way to make a night box:

I agree with Blackdog about the OSB. I never use that for any part of a tortoise box. It doesn't hold up and I also don't like the smell of it. Plywood all around is the best way to go.

Thank you for this information, very helpful!

KoopaLove

San Antonio
Can someone also recommend a mini oil heater? I found this one but just want to be sure I get a good one.

I use the attached during the day when it’s too cold for sun time. At night I have a CHE. It gets the area beneath him 95. At night I drop temp around 80. I really can’t wait until his outdoor place is done, it will be much better for him and me! The set up right now is not ideal and I’m constantly checking and rechecking! I have a temperature controller with alarm but still concerned. My husband thinks I’m nuts how obsessed I have become lol

oops here is the attachment

20F04323-14B3-4FC3-8569-5F1D46139DDC.jpeg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA