Outdoor Accommodation in a Colder (UK) Climate

Tino the Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
England
Bit late to the party but this is a great thread, I am hoping to build something outdoor this year for my Russian tort. I have a couple of questions if anyone is able to help

Firstly, I too live in the UK but am not lucky enough to enjoy the warmth of Summer in Kent! I live up in Manchester where rain is never far away and we're probably a few degrees colder than down south. Is this likely to be an issue with keeping Tino outside? (Obviously, providing proper drainage etc to make sure there is no danger of her being damp for long periods). I would most likely provide a permanent set up with a heat lamp (like the kennel picture earlier) but I'm not sure I want this on permanently (not cheap to run and I think Tino might just sit under the lamp all day...it's a hard life for a tortoise!)...any advice or thoughts would be great.

Second, Joe seems to be fairly 'wild' in that he looks to have the run of your garden @JoesMum ? I'm concerned about local animals (cats, birds etc) getting in and 'playing' with Tino as she isn't anywhere near Joe's size. Also, Russian's love to dig and I read a lot of things suggesting outdoor enclosures need to be sunk into the ground to stop them escaping? I was wondering if there was a way to curb their enthusiasm for this, potentially by providing ample opportunities for the to dig above ground in peat boxes or piles of soil? Thanks for any help all :)

ColinS

Manchester
Hi. I’m in Manchester too. Same problem ha. I’m still new to tortoises so can’t tell you everything. I’ve learned t most off here. I have a young hermans. So what I have done is get a indoor rabbit/guinee pig cage. Drilled a right few holes in the bottom plastic tray for drainage Think mine is 5x2 foot. I’ve filled it about 5 inch deep topsoil/ sand mix. And I’ve made a wooden cold frame which also has a heat lamp attached for the colder days. I have an external plug socket. (Brothers a spark) It’s not massive but got to be better than a 4foot indoor table. Will defo be keep in indoor setup as I will be bringing the tortoise indoors of a night until the weather permits Planted tortoise food seeds so will hopefully be ready for the spring Quite basic really. But outdoors is important

ColinS

Manchester
Sorry. The cold frame with heat source (basking spot bulb ) fits nicely into the cage.