Out of hibernation!!!

benterence

5 Year Member
It is one of life's wonders I'm sure (my partner and friends think I'm crazy) that coming out of the fridge after fifteen weeks hibernating that within four hours Terence is eating, taking an interest his surroundings and having a drink. These are such amazing animals and I'm absolutely in awe of him, sad this may be but I do not care!! I could spend hours watching him!

TMK1971

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What is the temperature of your fridge? I ask because I would like to eventually leave my Russian outside permenantly after he get healthy. I live in SoCal and the temp right now is 57 degrees. Hmmmm

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
my male is outside.. and he came up the other day... I made sure he had water... but we have more cold coming.. so no food.. he went back down....
he felt good and solid..

benterence

5 Year Member
5 degrees c, it fluctuated slightly by one or two degrees but not very often :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Several of my Russians have come up and I just saw another one this morning. Four more to go!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
TMK1971 said:
What is the temperature of your fridge? I ask because I would like to eventually leave my Russian outside permenantly after he get healthy. I live in SoCal and the temp right now is 57 degrees. Hmmmm

Russians are one of the most temp tolerant. Mine are outside and we have had 46 days of below freezing and many of those were in the single digits. the garden was covered in ice for over a week. During this time, we had a day that was 67 degrees and my female poped up for a visit. The next day I couldn't find her and after a week of sub 20 temps, up she came again so I grabbed her and put her in a tub inside. they can take extreme cold as long as they can get under the frost line, 10 or so inches down, and stay dry. Mine didn't even go into hibernation when it was 57 out. They still basked in those temps, lol.

tguillen

I hibernated my 2 russian tortoises last year in the fridge. I weighed them every week and made sure the temp was correct daily. I was nervous but it worked out.
They are 4 years old.