Our Red foot baby Taylor’s set up.

Taylor2313

Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton Alberta
Hi all! We are new parent of Taylor and never owned a tortoise before. We want to show your his set up and his food and himself. We wplan to build a table for him in the fall next year. He is only 7 months old and at about 3 inches now in 75 gallon tank. He does have a lot of space to walk around for now. We made sure that the temp is around 85 f all the time. Humidity is around 70-80%. We have mister installed. It is hard to keep it higher as we live in dry climate in Alberta, Canada. Also we use CHE and T8 uvb.
Are we doing good??! Let me know what we can do to prevent him pyramiding.
Taylor eats so well and actually loves his food and his favourite is blueberry.
Oh how can we vary his food without weeds outside as winter are approaching here soon. Any suggestions???

Attachments

• FECE7D6A-0BE7-4E83-B307-BD85F29996F2.jpeg
    FECE7D6A-0BE7-4E83-B307-BD85F29996F2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 130C990A-AC56-4F2A-9D6F-1E78632F3DAB.jpeg
    130C990A-AC56-4F2A-9D6F-1E78632F3DAB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • 3BD1A402-94D3-40FE-9271-5663EB60D62D.jpeg
    3BD1A402-94D3-40FE-9271-5663EB60D62D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
  • 8E0C997D-21F6-4B48-A8A3-5544FA78636E.jpeg
    8E0C997D-21F6-4B48-A8A3-5544FA78636E.jpeg
    815.7 KB · Views: 35

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
Welcome to the forums! Please read through the caresheet for Redfoots and ask as many questions as you'd like!

Taylor2313

Edmonton Alberta
Welcome to the forums! Please read through the caresheet for Redfoots and ask as many questions as you'd like!

I did read the sheet thoroughly and I wanted to take some advice from people that actually have a red foot in Canada with our winter with the snow that is limited in food choice.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Not sure we have active Canadian Redfoot keepers.

But Redfoots are omnivores and eat, arguably, the widest range of foods of all tortoise species. You don't have to confine your choices of greenery to wild-collected weeds. Curly endive, Belgian endive, escarole...all usually found in food stores year-round, as are other dark, leafy greens and mushrooms. Fruit, invertebrates, and other vegetables are all great. The key is variety and rotation.

A basic care sheet for colder climates:

@jsheffield lives in the U.S. Northeast, where winters are cold...his animals eat an excellent variety all year.

Taylor2313

Edmonton Alberta
Not sure we have active Canadian Redfoot keepers.

But Redfoots are omnivores and eat, arguably, the widest range of foods of all tortoise species. You don't have to confine your choices of greenery to wild-collected weeds. Curly endive, Belgian endive, escarole...all usually found in food stores year-round, as are other dark, leafy greens and mushrooms. Fruit, invertebrates, and other vegetables are all great. The key is variety and rotation.

A basic care sheet for colder climates:

@jsheffield lives in the U.S. Northeast, where winters are cold...his animals eat an excellent variety all year.
Thank you so much!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
DarwinDiet.jpg

The Summer in NH is short, and even during the summer, it's often not warm enough for Darwin to get outside and enjoy the weeds.

I feed her as big a variety of foods as I can, but my goto diet is a huge handful of greens everyday, tossed with some of the dried mix shown in the picture.

I serve that with each of the following foods 1-2 times a week:
  • butternut squash
  • papaya
  • mushrooms
  • mazuri
  • raw dog food
I supplement with other stuff that looks good at my market, but these are the basics of her diet.

Jamie

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I live in Canada and I literally dug up some dandelions and potted them to grow inside as well for extra variety
Broad-leaved Plantain works too. I find it tends to crap out after a while, but it's not like they cost anything.

Spider plants are another option, but you have to worry about pesticides unless you've grown them from babies yourself.

Taylor2313

Edmonton Alberta
Broad-leaved Plantain works too. I find it tends to crap out after a while, but it's not like they cost anything.

Spider plants are another option, but you have to worry about pesticides unless you've grown them from babies yourself.
Thanks! I have 2 spiders plant in the set up! Other day I saw Taylor nibbled on them. I was happy to see that ?

Cpassmore

Ontario Canada
Ya, I've put a spider plant baby in my setup as well. Chomper hasn't ate it though....which I'm not that upset about if I'm being honest lol. I figure he's pretty full after he's done with all his food. The 2 potted dandelions I grow outside of his enclosure and just rip off leaves and mix in with his food as needed since they are pretty huge pots.