Our Power is Out ?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth

This idea has been making the rounds for a long time. Ive seen it debunked a lot of ways. Basic thermodynamics tells us that just burning the candles without the pot will heat the space even more effeciently. You would need to burn about 50 candles to equal an hours output from a 1500w space heater, assuming the candle burns for an hour. Dont do that, candles pollute the air badly.

I think part of it is that for one purpose it works well/safer - the pot traps heat/warms up and works as a hand warmer better than just trying to put hands over candles. Then someone makes it out to be a lifehack space heater and goes viral.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
You are helping so many by reminding people NO CARBON MONOXIDE deaths, I’ve heard of 2 already. Be careful, please
They still happen up here from time to time, but they're pretty rare because it's a well known threat and the media reminds people if a winter storm is coming. This is probably all new territory for people in Texas because it's not something they need to know 99.9% of the time.

Dodge Mustang

Virginia Beach
If the power is out a long time you are going to to have to get creative.

First I would wrap the enclosure with as much as you can if it's still warm. Otherwise I would find a small cardboard box or rubbermaid to insulate like crazy. It's much easier to heat up a small space instead of a big enclosure, tight space but better than freezing.

If you have a grill you can fire it up outside and cook some stone pavers, bricks, gravel, or water. If you have a temp reading gun you can keep an eye on it until it hits the high end of your torts happy temperature range. Otherwise I would heat it until it feels warm but won't burn you.

Wrap that in a towel and put in your insulated box. Should stay warm a while. You will probably need to change it out reguraly.

If you don't have a grill make a makeshift fire pit if you have a yard, you can start a fire with a lot of things, even a AA battery and aluminum foil. Cardboard And junk mail burn hotter than you expect, should be enough to at least heat some stone or water.

Any candle placed just under something stone will heat it up if the flame is licking it. If you have a lot of candles you might even be able to heat a pot of water.

In a pinch if you have a car you can let it idle and use the heater inside to keep warm, you also can pack the engine bay with a few pavers or metal water bottles, they will get toasty pretty fast, just make sure you don't mess up any moving parts putting it in there. The CATs get extremely hot and a brick on top of one or a metal water bottle wired to it will get hot pretty quick.

Don't run a car or start any fire in any enclosed space, it will kill you. If it wasn't designed to run inside don't run it inside. A car running in a garage with the door open is still a risk.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I just saw this. This guy is political as all get out, and I'm not trying to drag politics into this, but the first 5 minutes is good sound advice. (after that, you'd better be on the left end of the political spectrum or feathers will get ruffled)

Dcatalano

Colorado
Boulder, CO was -7 degrees F last night & about 2 inches of snow. We usually get this kind of weather around Christmas & January. I've gotten suntans in February. Not this year.

Stay safe & warm!!

I'm in Colorado too. Agreed about the temps like this usually happening Dec/Jan. I was more worried about my chickens, with it dropping from 43 and sunny on Saturday to -7 overnight! Crazy.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Take it from one who knows from experience...Sulcata ( and maybe other species)will get stressed out being in your bra or panties, stress makes their poop liquid, putting it together yet? Liquid tortoise stressed poop smells nasty and feels worse, pee is just as bad. There are better ways to warm them without becoming a tortoise toilet...don't be an idiot
Oh and I know how all that feels because I did just that. I WAS an idiot...

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I have all 3 of my tortoises carriers ready with hand warmers (if needed). I am lucky because I can place them on a table NEAR the fireplace for them to stay warm. Lyn's got her sofa ready and so do I. I am just hoping my neighbors trees don't fall on my house.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Well, maybe you all don't need to hear this now, but it was 58F on my verandah this morning at 5.30 and I thought, what is this? Winter in Siberia???
Reporting from Coopers Hill, Jamaica, Caribbean Sea.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I'm in Colorado too. Agreed about the temps like this usually happening Dec/Jan. I was more worried about my chickens, with it dropping from 43 and sunny on Saturday to -7 overnight! Crazy.
We got an unexpected foot of snow last night. We need what little moisture there was. I have neighbors with chickens but haven't walked the neighborhood to see how they're doing yet.

Whereabouts are you in Colorado?

Dcatalano

Colorado
We got an unexpected foot of snow last night. We need what little moisture there was. I have neighbors with chickens but haven't walked the neighborhood to see how they're doing yet.

Whereabouts are you in Colorado?
Oh wow! We got a dusting last night. I’m on Salida. My rooster’s comb is a little rough but otherwise they look ok. He’s a leghorn so his comb is huge.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Take it from one who knows from experience...Sulcata ( and maybe other species)will get stressed out being in your bra or panties, stress makes their poop liquid, putting it together yet? Liquid tortoise stressed poop smells nasty and feels worse, pee is just as bad. There are better ways to warm them without becoming a tortoise toilet...don't be an idiot

Herbie loves to walk inside of my hoodie and fall asleep on my neck. We only do that after morning bath and I know the belly is “empty”. And to be honest I rather take a shower and wash everything than have a little tortoise be cold.

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
Why in the bra and panties??? LOL. In my mind it's more like you wrap it in a small towel and put it in the kangaroo pocket of your hoodie, then with a winter coat outside. :p

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Why in the bra and panties??? LOL. In my mind it's more like you wrap it in a small towel and put it in the kangaroo pocket of your hoodie, then with a winter coat outside. :p

Actually human body heat is one of the first advice for keeping little dudes and dudets warm. My baby sulcata loves to cuddle in my sweatshirt and goes to sleep. Yes no bra ?? and no panties ?? NO NO

ZenHerper

New Jersey

Wrapping an ectotherm in a towel insulates it from all heat sources.

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
Wrapping an ectotherm in a towel insulates it from all heat sources.
I mean it's in the sweatshirt's front pocket while you're wearing it. Plus, if you wear a winter coat outside of the sweatshirt, it creates a warm environment. It's just for the tortoise not to get cold, but it doesn't need to be directly against your skin, isn't it?:D