Our Power is Out ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Maggie posted this yesterday-

1613581780078.png
Be careful with candles and naked flames though and don't cook your torts!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
We're a little south of San Antonio. Power still on but the heater went out in one of my tortoise houses, lost that tortoise before we realized it was out. With 11 degree weather it doesn't take long for them to get too cold. I put everyone else in my bathroom. It's 86 degrees in there. They are not happy but at least I know for sure they are alive and warm. My 2 little bantum chickens didn't make it either. Quails, pigs, goats, and Bostons all cozied up. But crazy chihuahuas are all out playing in the snow. Yorkies just peek out the doggie door. Cats bring mice in out of cold, don't know if they're trying to save them or eat them. lol Next time we will be better prepared.
So sorry for your loss - your weather is unbelievable!
Stay safe and warm

Rdeb55

Freeport
I'm not living in an area that has lost power (Thank God) but we are having the snow (about 2 feet accumulation so far) and now at 11:am the temp has just hit 0. We are having very very cold weather. Without electricity I would do the hot rock idea the others are talking about. Solid rocks hold heat for hours. Don't out it too close to your tortoise, cover it and leave enough room for him/her to to and away from the rock, The turtle will move to the warmest part that it needs. Be sure you are heating more rocks in your fire to replace the one your using when it cools down. The other thing I can think of and this will only work on a small tortoise but you can put it'd body on your bare skin. If it'd bigger and you have a dog that gets along with the tortoise let the tortoise cuddle up to your dog or even a cat. If you put him/her on your bare skin wrap the tortoise in something that keeps it from peeing on you. The human body normal body tempeture is 98.6 which for most tortoises is nearly a perfect tempeture. I would be able to carry mine in my cleavage where my body temp is always that warm. I can only do that because he is very young and small. Good luck.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm not living in an area that has lost power (Thank God) but we are having the snow (about 2 feet accumulation so far) and now at 11:am the temp has just hit 0. We are having very very cold weather. Without electricity I would do the hot rock idea the others are talking about. Solid rocks hold heat for hours. Don't out it too close to your tortoise, cover it and leave enough room for him/her to to and away from the rock, The turtle will move to the warmest part that it needs. Be sure you are heating more rocks in your fire to replace the one your using when it cools down. The other thing I can think of and this will only work on a small tortoise but you can put it'd body on your bare skin. If it'd bigger and you have a dog that gets along with the tortoise let the tortoise cuddle up to your dog or even a cat. If you put him/her on your bare skin wrap the tortoise in something that keeps it from peeing on you. The human body normal body tempeture is 98.6 which for most tortoises is nearly a perfect tempeture. I would be able to carry mine in my cleavage where my body temp is always that warm. I can only do that because he is very young and small. Good luck.
I wouldn't recommend letting your dog cuddle the tort.......even the most placid and trusted dogs can get spooked and turn on the tort or forget he's not a chew toy!
We've had very cold weather but nothing like some parts of the US is experiencing and thankfully no power cuts. I'd need a seriously big cleavage to think about warming my 10+ leopard!! :) The only time I tried l to bond with him and let him lie on my stomach he peed on me!?

Obbie

Minnesota
Ugh, I just saw a local report about the storm you guys are having down there.

I would suggest for the people, find your candles and flashlights now, draw the curtains to keep the heat in, stuff a towel against the outside doors if they are drafty, and if it's going to stay freezing for a long time, keep your water taps dripping so the lines don't freeze (but that's only if there is a danger of freezing in the house itself).

And DON'T use your gas BBQ's for heating the house.

You are helping so many by reminding people NO CARBON MONOXIDE deaths, I’ve heard of 2 already. Be careful, please

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Maggie posted this yesterday-

View attachment 318536
Be careful with candles and naked flames though and don't cook your torts!

This idea has been making the rounds for a long time. Ive seen it debunked a lot of ways. Basic thermodynamics tells us that just burning the candles without the pot will heat the space even more effeciently. You would need to burn about 50 candles to equal an hours output from a 1500w space heater, assuming the candle burns for an hour. Dont do that, candles pollute the air badly.

Rdeb55

Freeport
I wouldn't recommend letting your dog cuddle the tort.......even the most placid and trusted dogs can get spooked and turn on the tort or forget he's not a chew toy!
We've had very cold weather but nothing like some parts of the US is experiencing and thankfully no power cuts. I'd need a seriously big cleavage to think about warming my 10+ leopard!! :) The only time I tried l to bond with him and let him lie on my stomach he peed on me!?
thats why I wrap it is something the tortoise, to keep the pee off me.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

This idea has been making the rounds for a long time. Ive seen it debunked a lot of ways. Basic thermodynamics tells us that just burning the candles without the pot will heat the space even more effeciently. You would need to burn about 50 candles to equal an hours output from a 1500w space heater, assuming the candle burns for an hour. Dont do that, candles pollute the air badly.
Sound great in theory but too good to be true!

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
I think they do it on purpose! lol

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think they do it on purpose! lol
There's a lot of truth in that - I saw a video a while ago about how wild torts will pee as a defence mechanism if they are disturbed and picked up.:)

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Our power is out in Texas thanks to the bizarre weather. It almost never gets this cold here so we don't have back up generator or anything to keep the enclosure warm

We had to wrap up tortellini just in case. It's already 60 degrees in her enclosure. There's no telling when the power will come back on

Wish us luck! View attachment 318338
Hope you have her indoors wrapped up

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
No power at the moment however we've had a few hours with power since yesterday. We have the tort in the bathroom in this tub with a pack of warm water.
View attachment 318466

She seems fine for right now. I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on feeding her. I'm worried that she might get constipated without high enough temperatures. The last time she ate was yesterday morning.
Please feed her. Add a little cucumber for moisture I do it with my Sully

New york
Not sure if you have access to these supplies but this little DIY heater is very good for emergencies73075895-F03F-4C6E-83AD-541A586F755E.png

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
He is a small tort. Just put it inside your clothes against your belly. LOL
Take it from one who knows from experience...Sulcata ( and maybe other species)will get stressed out being in your bra or panties, stress makes their poop liquid, putting it together yet? Liquid tortoise stressed poop smells nasty and feels worse, pee is just as bad. There are better ways to warm them without becoming a tortoise toilet...don't be an idiot