Our new baby Galapagos tortoises

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Amazing to see and thanks for sharing. As requested please keep posting as they grow I am sure you will have some characters in the creep.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I thought I would share some photos of our new Galapagos Tortoises. The oldest hatched on 6/17/21 and the youngest 7/26/21. They look bigger every day and are increasing in weight at a rate of 10-15% per week right now. Their favorite foods are cactus and pusley weed. They also eat several types of hibiscus, grape leaves and a small variety of other weeds. So far the only store bought food has been dandelion greens and all the low hanging leaves on the plants in their enclosure. We have introduced them to Mazuri LS but they were more interested in the fresh stuff.

View attachment 331260View attachment 331261View attachment 331262View attachment 331263View attachment 331264
Amazing.
Where do you keep all these soon to be dinosaurs xD
I want more tortoises. I own 2 now. And plan on expanding my tort family one day.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Amazing.
Where do you keep all these soon to be dinosaurs xD
I want more tortoises. I own 2 now. And plan on expanding my tort family one day.
Right now these guys are living in a 2x8 plastic tank with a lid in the garage. The plan is to keep them in the garage until they are big enough to move to an outdoor enclosure. I would like to do that towards the end of spring next yet but I suspect they will need a larger indoor enclosure long before then.
We will probably build a series of larger outdoor enclosures for them before setting them up in one of the pastures on our property.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I thought I would share some photos of our new Galapagos Tortoises. The oldest hatched on 6/17/21 and the youngest 7/26/21. They look bigger every day and are increasing in weight at a rate of 10-15% per week right now. Their favorite foods are cactus and pusley weed. They also eat several types of hibiscus, grape leaves and a small variety of other weeds. So far the only store bought food has been dandelion greens and all the low hanging leaves on the plants in their enclosure. We have introduced them to Mazuri LS but they were more interested in the fresh stuff.

View attachment 331260View attachment 331261View attachment 331262View attachment 331263View attachment 331264
Im jealous

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Nice! If going to TTPG this November, you may be interested in attending the Galapagos Roundtable Thursday evening for additional interactive discussions regarding these gentle giants.
Thanks for letting me know. We might try to attend if we can get away from the farm.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Took another photo of our "green" guy today. He hatched ~4 months ago on 6/18/21. He gained 44 grams this week and now weighs 353 grams.

galapagos-green.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for letting me know. We might try to attend if we can get away from the farm.
Its worth it. You will love it. Many forum members attend.

Your green guy is looking fantastic. Such wonderful creatures they are.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
These guys spent their first full day outside in a temporary covered pen. I gave them some extra food when I brought them in at sunset in case they didn't like their selection of weeds. They go nuts for these cranberry hibiscus leaves.
galapagos-mouth.jpggalapagos-10-24.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Looks like great, smooth growth, Dustin. Great job! Keep the updates coming.

Really enjoyed meeting you and spending time at TTPG with you. The entire GTA group was impressed with your dedication to come and your interest to plug in with the group and seek out every bit of time to talk tortoises possible. I value your future friendship.