Our new baby Galapagos tortoises

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I thought I would share some photos of our new Galapagos Tortoises. The oldest hatched on 6/17/21 and the youngest 7/26/21. They look bigger every day and are increasing in weight at a rate of 10-15% per week right now. Their favorite foods are cactus and pusley weed. They also eat several types of hibiscus, grape leaves and a small variety of other weeds. So far the only store bought food has been dandelion greens and all the low hanging leaves on the plants in their enclosure. We have introduced them to Mazuri LS but they were more interested in the fresh stuff.

2021-07-19 19.16.36.jpg2021-07-19 19.14.06.jpg2021-07-18 11.45.46.jpg2021-08-19 09.04.05.jpg2021-08-19 09.03.16.jpg

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I thought I would share some photos of our new Galapagos Tortoises. The oldest hatched on 6/17/21 and the youngest 7/26/21. They look bigger every day and are increasing in weight at a rate of 10-15% per week right now. Their favorite foods are cactus and pusley weed. They also eat several types of hibiscus, grape leaves and a small variety of other weeds. So far the only store bought food has been dandelion greens and all the low hanging leaves on the plants in their enclosure. We have introduced them to Mazuri LS but they were more interested in the fresh stuff.

View attachment 331260View attachment 331261View attachment 331262View attachment 331263View attachment 331264
Wow!! Please keep posting photos. They're gorgeous!! Do they have names?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
They are beautiful ? how many hatched?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What a fantastic treat! Thank you for sharing and posting pics. I look forward to seeing more and tracking their growth as they get older. Congratulations to you! They are not easy to come by. If these are your first, you are in for an amazing ride. They really are different from other tortoises. Please keep this thread going for years to come.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
What a fantastic treat! Thank you for sharing and posting pics. I look forward to seeing more and tracking their growth as they get older. Congratulations to you! They are not easy to come by. If these are your first, you are in for an amazing ride. They really are different from other tortoises. Please keep this thread going for years to come.
Hi Tom,
These are our first Galapagos but not our first tortoises. I am hoping they are friendlier than our Aldabras. After three years they are still terrified of us. I will post more pictures as they get older.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom,
These are our first Galapagos but not our first tortoises. I am hoping they are friendlier than our Aldabras. After three years they are still terrified of us. I will post more pictures as they get older.
I meant if these are your first Galapagos...

Both species are terrified of people as youngsters, but Galaps seem to desensitize sooner, more, and more completely.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
How wonderful they are. We had very friendly Aldabras even as they were younger, interesting that some of you didn't. Congratulations on your beautiful babies, keep us posted on their growth

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi Tom,
It won’t be long until your Galapagos will rather have attention over food. Here’s a photo from yesterday. Brenda and I were feeding some treats to some Galapagos. This one wanted petting before showing any interest in the banana treats! This is a pure Chelonoidis vicina.
F3AA1FDB-47E4-49E2-A3F0-915BA9D6F491.jpeg

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
It won’t be long until your Galapagos will rather have attention over food. Here’s a photo from yesterday. Brenda and I were feeding some treats to some Galapagos. This one wanted petting before showing any interest in the banana treats! This is a pure Chelonoidis vicina.
View attachment 331460
We are looking forward to that. Some of the adult Galapagos we have been around were very curious and friendly and certainly seemed to want more than just food.
Is the tortoise in that photo normally kept in that area with see through fencing?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
We are looking forward to that. Some of the adult Galapagos we have been around were very curious and friendly and certainly seemed to want more than just food.
Is the tortoise in that photo normally kept in that area with see through fencing?
It normally takes until they are about 2 to 2-1/2 yrs old before they really start wanting the touching and petting.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
View attachment 331460
This is just what I experienced when I visited the ones at the San Diego Zoo. They loved getting scratched and rubbed and came over to get it.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh they are seriously fantastic! Obviously growing...and I am very impressed with the one eating cactus. Even my adult Gopherus agassizii wouldn't eat that...

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Oh they are seriously fantastic! Obviously growing...and I am very impressed with the one eating cactus. Even my adult Gopherus agassizii wouldn't eat that...
All of them took to cactus pads immediately, they seem to like it more than anything else we offer them.
We are going to need a ton of it so we have been planting it all around the property. I feel bad for whoever gets this place after us, they will never be able to get rid of it all.