Our new Aldabra - and we're thrilled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben awes

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the VERY kind words and support - it means a lot coming from a group that has such great love for torts.

Chris believes that mine is about a year old. I wish I knew for sure, but I don't. I will fpr sure have to build him a good outdoor house, and probably sooner than later!

Currently I have a 20' by 16' room on one end of my basement, concrete walls and floor. That is where I house my leopards up on a big tortoise table. I will make that room one huge tort table of sorts. That room has one egress window and is directly adjacent to my backyard which will eventually be Brian's full time area. I plan to clicker train Brian from a very early age so that I will have some hope of moving him around as needed. My crazy idea right now is to build a ramp from the basement right through the window (have to change the window out to some other sort of closing thing) up onto the yard. I am hoping my architecture career will help me out with that one! but I have begun planning.

Where there is a will there is a way, and I am more encouraged than ever that it is possible based on the support I have received already from all you folks.

Thanks,
Ben

ALDABRAMAN said:
tortadise said:
Welcome to the club.

* Congrats!

Thanks Aldabraman - means a lot coming from you!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Beautiful baby Ben. Congratulations on your decision.
As we get older, at least for me, "life's uncertain, eat dessert first" is the way to go! Baby Brian is darling. Sending kisses to Baby Brian's cheekees. That face! : )

Amen to that BeeBee! Dessert first! He is darling and his very timid at this point. I have read that Aldabras tend to take a long time to warm up. It is so interesting to see their in-born instincts. I know we will become fast friends eventually, but it must be flippin so uncomfortable to get terrified by every little thing! So different from my leopards who clam up, Brian runs! scampers away as fast as he can when he senses danger.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Ben, what a lovely elephant, I mean tortoise [WINKING FACE]
So glad you are sharing, and commend your convictions. It's great you have the ability to have one of the giants in a cold State. I'm not too far away, maybe I will get to visit and finally meet one of these beauties.
Looking forward to following Brian's story!
Lots of luck

My tort shred your name and Brian is my dads name, so I'm already invested lol

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Yay congrats :) I live in a cold place too but when you love the torts you just do your very best for them.
Can't wait to see this guys progress!
Oh and I love your idea of the ramp to the basement! I'm always adapting and building things for mine too :D torts have taken over our lives lol
Good luck x

ben awes

5 Year Member
Sh3wulf said:
Ben, what a lovely elephant, I mean tortoise [WINKING FACE]
So glad you are sharing, and commend your convictions. It's great you have the ability to have one of the giants in a cold State. I'm not too far away, maybe I will get to visit and finally meet one of these beauties.
Looking forward to following Brian's story!
Lots of luck

My tort shred your name and Brian is my dads name, so I'm already invested lol

Thanks Sh3wulf, where are you located? are you in MN, WI, ND, SD, IO?

Ben

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Hi Ben,
Nope. Even further north in the Big White world of Ontario Canada. Blame my father, totally not my choice. I would happily reside back home in Trinidad ;) but raised here, and married here, and raising kids here now, so gotta deal

Status
Not open for further replies.