Our Mastiff, Our Hero

SPILL

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
We have a 100lbs dog and we find him gigantic so it's hard for me to imagine a dog more than twice is weight, can he walk with a leash? Do you have to be extra carefull not to hurt yourself if you live with such a big dog?
They do fine on a leash. I don't think we really do anything special because of their size. They're extremely gentle other than this one time and almost seem to be aware of how big they are.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
We used to see that sort of thing all the time at the protection field. People would bring out Schutzhund 3 dogs and snarling crazy house pets and warn us all how the dog was going to bite the crap out of us. The thing is, our decoys act like real bad guys and do real bad guy stuff. They don't do a stylized special protection dog dance. Until we work them trough it, a lot of good dogs are pretty intimidated an put off by it. Many refused to bite when offered an arm or leg, and many of them tried to run away wen the decoy didn't "act right". When we are done, those dogs are bad *** man stoppers under any real life circumstance, but still safe and handleable in every day life.

This is why its noteworthy when a dog without all that training and desensitization actually steps up and engages a real bad guy.

My mom’s second Rottie was a male and he got everything short of tracking. She would have him with her to do open houses. That dog would sleep under her fold up table she always took and never mind anyone. That sucker darn near crushed a sleeve once our trainer worked with several local PDs for training theirs. One out two not so bad odds.