Our male desert tortoise is showing female behavior???

tortluvr8

5 Year Member
tortellina.jpg Our 25 year old male Sonoran Desert tortoise is showing obvious female behavior. We are sure he is a male due to having him to the Phoenix Herpetological's reptile veterinarian, and he confirming Tortellina is a boy It's also very OBVIOUS he is definitely a he. (His name is a long story... Tortellina was given to us by a friend who assumed he was a she, hence the name Tortellina) Anyway.... for the past week, he has been digging holes WITH HIS BACK FEET, just like our female Russian does prior to laying eggs. Tortellina has dug several of these "test" holes... does anybody know if males sometimes dig the holes for the females in the Desert species? Tortellina lives alone, no mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I've never seen a male do that. When you say it's "obvious" he is a male, what do you mean?

tortluvr8

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
I've never seen a male do that. When you say it's "obvious" he is a male, what do you mean?

Ha Ha! His tail is very long, AND a well known tortoise veterinarian gave him a full examination confirming what I was thinking when told he was a she when we first got him ;) It really is strange behavior as he doesn't dig and push dirt away with his front legs as if he was burrowing, he uses his back legs and digs a hole just like he is going to lay eggs???

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
tortluvr8 said:
kimber_lee_314 said:

Ha Ha! His tail is very long, AND a well known tortoise veterinarian gave him a full examination confirming what I was thinking when told he was a she when we first got him ;) It really is strange behavior as he doesn't dig and push dirt away with his front legs as if he was burrowing, he uses his back legs and digs a hole just like he is going to lay eggs???

Can you post a picture of him? I'm not disagreeing with your vet, I've just never seen a male tortoise do that. Do you have pictures of him digging?

tortluvr8

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
tortluvr8 said:
kimber_lee_314 said:

Can you post a picture of him? I'm not disagreeing with your vet, I've just never seen a male tortoise do that. Do you have pictures of him digging?

I don't have a picture of him digging, but will get one tomorrow... if he digs ;) We planted the desert tortoise weed/grass mix and he dug a great big hole right in the middle of his garden. I should have taken a picture then, but didn't... he was practically vertical while digging in the hole. Thanks for wanting to get to the bottom of this with me :tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd love to see a pic of the plastron showing the tail, anal scutes and gular scutes. Is the plastron concave?

It just seems more likely that the sex is mis-identified than for a male to be digging nest holes.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If you have never seen his "junk," he's probably a she:)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I with Tom post sime pictures and we can help make sure you have a boy with a gender crisis .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
In the pic you have attached in this thread, I would say you have a male...glands and gular are male....what does he do when he has dug the hole? I mean, perhaps he was raised around sisters and his mother....lol (just being silly, apologies :p)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
My very male Redfoot digs holes all the time ...and do you know what he does with these holes?
He "loves" them...the horny little ****! He makes "jolly time" all day and night with holes, rocks, his water dish, and just about anything that stays still long enough for him to mount!

Maybe that is what your Tort is doing?

tortluvr8

5 Year Member
Watsonpartyof4 said:
My very male Redfoot digs holes all the time ...and do you know what he does with these holes?
He "loves" them...the horny little stuff! He makes "jolly time" all day and night with holes, rocks, his water dish, and just about anything that stays still long enough for him to mount!

Interesting, and thank you all for the suggestions :) I will try to get a video of Tortellina digging tomorrow as suggested in an earlier post. Once he digs a hole, he moves on. He doesn't do any female or male behavior in or to the hole, he simply digs then walks away. However he does dig at times, for long periods of times.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
sibi said:
If you have never seen his "junk," he's probably a she:)

Watsonpartyof4 said:
He "loves" them...the horny little stuff! He makes "jolly time" all day and night with holes, rocks, his water dish, and just about anything that stays still long enough for him to mount!

You two are killing me!! I think I love you!