Our little Lily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I was finally able to upload pictures of our Lily! She is three. She is just over a pound. She is the prettiest thing in the world! She has quite an appetite. She is super healthy! The first 2-2 1/2 years weren't very good. The guy we got her from just had a little area for her on the ground in his room. He was feeding her Mazuri and Romaine lettuce. That is not the healthiest thing in the world for a Sulcata Tortoise. I'm glad we got her when we did:)

~lll:tort:

Attachments

• Lily.JPG
    Lily.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 177

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
So, her growth was stunted, probably more so because she lacked sunshine or UV rays. My Baby Runt is in a similar position. She's now 4 years old, and she just weighed in at 3 lbs today! Is there any evidence of MBD?

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Metabolic Bone Disease
You can read all about it by researching.

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
I just researched it and it said it can also be hormone imbalance because of another disease. Could she have a disease?

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
Grandma here :) We LOVE our little Lily!!! She has the SWEETEST disposition!!! She was on the lethargic side when we got her and it took a little bit to get her to eat weeds and grass etc. We just mixed them in with her spring mix that we switched her too and now she LOVES them! She isn't a lover of hay yet but when I get my next bale of grass for the goats I will chop up a bunch in a container for Jess to sprinkle over her weeds etc. She is VERY active now and loves human attention. :) Since we give her almost daily soaks now her bowel movements have been very regular too. She was a little plugged up when we got her and her first bowel movement was HUGE. :( I think it had been in there awhile. :( You did GREAT Jess with the photo!!!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Lily is very lucky to have you both!! :) :)
You take such great care of her!!

I dont think she has a disease. I think sibi was just wondering if there were signs of MBD because the other person did not really know how to take care of her. She is in good hands now for sure!! I feel the love! lol :) She is a cutie!!

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
Thank you everybody! As soon as my sister gets off the ipad I will post more pictures! :)

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
I recently decided to put her in her pool-pen during the day and her habitat at night because she was flipping over when I was gone. With the circular pool she can't flip-over. If she would have flipped-over right after I left, ad I wasn't going to be home for a while that would be the end of her. And no tortoise parent wants that! My computer went crazy so I don't know if I posted those pictures. I will post some later today :)

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
Grandma here :) Good idea Jess! Now you won't have to worry every time you leave the house to go somewhere. I think we need to take her to Peterson's Rock Garden for a walk about again SOON! That would make a good picture to post! :)

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
YES! Maybe I will have to spend the night not this weekend but next!!!!!!!!! She would love some big juicy weeds. :)

I would post some more now but she is already asleep!

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
Hi everybody! Here is more pictures!

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 51
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    357.7 KB · Views: 47

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I hope someone will be with Lily everyone she's out because Lily can and will dig herself out of that fence. Also, it's not the safest barrier against predators. But she's adorable, and we all want her to be safe.

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
Grandma here :) That is just a playpen fence that we use when we go somewhere. See the little blue "tortoise carrier"? I bet that they went somewhere - a park Jess? She is ALWAYS with someone when she is outside - even in our tortoise safe outside enclosure. I lost a baby turtle to a crow once and I was just a FOOT away ready to pick it up when the crow swooped down right in front of me and grabbed it and flew off... :( I was about 16 and heartbroken. :( P.S. The little girl is Jessica's little sister. :) She loves Lily too as you can see.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Aww...that's so cute. Yeah, you know the dangers. That must have been horrible to have that crow swoop down and grap your baby turtle. I'm just a bit surprised that the bird did that with you being so close. Something for me to think about the next time I ever let a little one outside even with me being there. I would put my sullies outside and I would walk around them looking up every time I heard a bird. I was ready with a stick but nothing ever happened. Now, my three sullies are to big to be picked up by any bird.

I just love Lily. She reminds me of my little Baby Runt. She's 4 years old now and had gained 2 3/4 lbs in 10 months under my care. She too was in an abused situation. Your story touches my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.