Our girl... might be a boy?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
The most recent growth spurt our Penelope has experienced has me wondering whether SHE might actually be a HE.
I'm very familiar with sexing RTs, but leopard torts not so much.
Help please?
20160401_161819_zpsg12s7fea.jpg

S/he is 1653g as if today, and 8.5" SCL.
Would love your input... @Tom?

Here is a top view - the marginal scutes by the back legs have really flared, too, in the last months.
20160401_161855_zpszm08hnc4.jpg

(Yes, she is pyramided... from the time before she came into our care a couple yeas ago. New growth is smooth though!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Probably not big enough yet. She/he's still in the in between stage. The anal scutes and gular say female, but the body shape and tail say male.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm looking at the pic on y phone in the sun, but I see a big tail which says male.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is the plastron indented/concaved at all? If not I would guess female. However, like Yvonne said, kinda in between. I have one that's 5 and it still looking half and half.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Darn sexually confused tortoise, lol. The plastron is completely straight, no concavity at all. I'll try to get a pic where the tail is straight, with vent visible.
It doesn't matter greatly anyway, since I don't plan to breed leos, and "Penelope" is a single tort of her kind in our home... but the OCD part of me does want to know. We may just have to wait another year or so to find out.

Kasia

Poland
The most recent growth spurt our Penelope has experienced has me wondering whether SHE might actually be a HE.
I'm very familiar with sexing RTs, but leopard torts not so much.
Help please?
20160401_161819_zpsg12s7fea.jpg

S/he is 1653g as if today, and 8.5" SCL.
Would love your input... @Tom?

Here is a top view - the marginal scutes by the back legs have really flared, too, in the last months.
20160401_161855_zpszm08hnc4.jpg

(Yes, she is pyramided... from the time before she came into our care a couple yeas ago. New growth is smooth though!)
Does he flash? - my Nini started to flash when he was a half smaller - I thought he is a girl too :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
A vet told me Lola was female because the plastron was flattish, but since then he has shown me he is male - in no uncertain terms!!