Ostional Costa Rica help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffRome

5 Year Member
Hi! We are off to Costa Rica in the summer to see nesting turtles. We would like to visit Ostional as part of the trip to see the Olive Ridleys nesting. I have a choice of late July or Late August--both are at the last quarter of the full moon. Is there any preference? Is it a big difference? I thought of staying at Hotel Punta Islita for a few nights and driving to Ostional as a side trip--is this doable? Does it have to be at night? Thanks!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I go every year for the leatherbacks. Full moons really do help in their cycles. I go in november. Last time I was there I saw 4 leatherbacks from 10-1 a.m. I did see a couple olive ridleys but they nested during the day. Came onshore around 4 a.m and finished up and was back out to pacific around 8 a.m. takes my breath away everytime. Ive never been during your scoped times so id say later the better.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
tortadise said:
I go every year for the leatherbacks. Full moons really do help in their cycles. I go in november. Last time I was there I saw 4 leatherbacks from 10-1 a.m. I did see a couple olive ridleys but they nested during the day. Came onshore around 4 a.m and finished up and was back out to pacific around 8 a.m. takes my breath away everytime. Ive never been during your scoped times so id say later the better.

Leatherbacks?!
Do you have any pics to share? This is by far my favorite turtle species. :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Unfortunately not. Your actually not supposed to be on the beaches at night! If you get in with the right people they will guide you to the turtles nesting. No flash lights, AND ABSOLUTELY no camera flashes or cameras at all. The first year I went I didnt know all the beaches were protected and were off limits at nightfall. Well I found out the hard way with an armed gaurd waiving an AK-47 at me telling me to get off the beach NOW. Its awesome knowing they have such a strict policy in gaurding these awesome animals. Theres a huge problem with locals, and non locals taking the eggs for consumption, and or people taking them to hatch them out and keep as a pet.

I do have alot of photos of costa rica through out the years but none of the leatherbacks. sorry! trust me I wish I had some myself to remind me of my yearly venture their.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
tortadise said:
Unfortunately not. Your actually not supposed to be on the beaches at night! If you get in with the right people they will guide you to the turtles nesting. No flash lights, AND ABSOLUTELY no camera flashes or cameras at all. The first year I went I didnt know all the beaches were protected and were off limits at nightfall. Well I found out the hard way with an armed gaurd waiving an AK-47 at me telling me to get off the beach NOW. Its awesome knowing they have such a strict policy in gaurding these awesome animals. Theres a huge problem with locals, and non locals taking the eggs for consumption, and or people taking them to hatch them out and keep as a pet.

I do have alot of photos of costa rica through out the years but none of the leatherbacks. sorry! trust me I wish I had some myself to remind me of my yearly venture their.

LOL, must've been quite the experience. ;)

In Ostional the locals are permitted to take the "doomed" eggs (eggs which will certainly be eaten) on the first 3 days of the arribada in exchange for protecting the turtles, keeping the beach clean and watching for poachers.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh it was so exciting. The first night their I stumbled upon a Huge female and then came the gunned men from the forest watching her. Luckily I speak spanish and became friends with them and got allowed to be guided by the science teams that maintain the hatcheries down in guanacaste. I get goose bumps even writing about it. Its so amazing. These dwarf aldabras and galaps. They are so bigbig and peaceful. Such a shame only 1% of the babies will make it to adulthood.

Status
Not open for further replies.