Ornates or Eastern Box - which do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I am really being pulled toward the boxies. They are more available in my area, and they can be outside year round here. I would just like people's opinions on which they prefer. Is one easier to care for than another? Let me know what you think? Thanks!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
All the Terrapene carolina subspecies are easier the T. ornata ornata to keep in captivity. It is possible to keep T. o. ornata, they are just a bit trickier.

Danny

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
If your state laws allow you it's always best to go with what's native.. since you want to keep them outside especially.

Terry

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Dee you live in Jersey, I would suggest the Eastern Box Turtles for sure. I think they are much more stunning tortoises because they are so variable and normally very brightly colored.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Eastern Box. In New Jersey ornates outside would give you nothing but heartache. The climate there is much too humid. I live on the eastern edge of the range and even here they have a very specialized habitat. Further west you go the drier it gets and the more common they are.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks for all your info. I will have to get a permit application so that I am ready.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My ornate was 31 years old last year. The only time he was sick was when I had to keep him inside for the winter as my yard was being renovated and his new pen wasn't ready. I didn't have him for ALL of those years, but quite a few. He was so used to hibernating that he stopped eating, and got a r i. He was a mess and I had to give him injections for 7 days. My Eastern Box turtle .....we had him since I was a baby and I am .....well I have 7 grandchildren. He still lives in my sisters yard (used to be my Mom and Dad's house). So......he is pushing 50. Never was sick...never came inside. He had the run of the whole yard.

Here's my Ornate on one side of her old pen. She came out of hiding on a warm day to get some sun.

Scan0001-4.jpg

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Hi Terry! Haven't seen you around for a while. Cute pic. I like the thought of being able to leave the easterns out all year here!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Dee all my Gulf Coast, Three-toed and Ornates are outside hibernating as I type. I'm in Mass. and they do just fine.
I've been hibernating some of the Gulf Coast for almost 20 years here.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.