Ornate eggs?

Pameladale

5 Year Member
I was checking on 3 of my ornate box turtle eggs & they feel quite soft & almost flexible when they used to feel stronger & almost hard, its been 42 days since I found them but no idea how long they have been there. does this mean they are not fertile or that they are close to hatching or what else could it mean? Any info or thoughts would be great thank you!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Can you get a picture of them for us? If they have gotten softer that usually means the embryo may have died. But sometimes they soften up just a tad a day or two before hatching

Pameladale

5 Year Member
These are from my cell phone camera & I will update some from my real camera in a moment.

152.JPG153.JPG
What do you think?

Attachments

• 1382316644387.jpg
    1382316644387.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 1382316652465.jpg
    1382316652465.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I hate to say but they don't look good anymore. If you want to leave them in just to make super sure there is no harm in doing that.
It looks like where they are is TOO WET. It needs moisture but that much moisture may have suffocated the eggs unfortunately.
How long ago were they laid?

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Ornate eggs?

diamondbp said:
I hate to say but they don't look good anymore. If you want to leave them in just to make super sure there is no harm in doing that.
It looks like where they are is TOO WET. It needs moisture but that much moisture may have suffocated the eggs unfortunately.
How long ago were they laid?
I just sprayedaround them before I took the picture because it drys out at the bottom there fairly quickly. I have a hygrometer buried underneath & it says about 60% usually. Before 43 days ago thats all I know. If I dry it out a little is there any chance to save them?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I would gentle move them to an area not so wet. But honestly they look infertile. I don't think ornate eggs need much moisture. The yellowish color coupled with the soft texture leans me toward them being infertile.

Pameladale

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Ornate eggs?

I wish I knew that all the sites I read said a lot of humidity thanks so much transfering them now I know its a long shot but I hope they will make it.