Ornate Box Turtle - Sleeps All the Time!

CritterFritter

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Hello all,
About a year ago, my husband and I rescued a young Ornate Box Turtle off of a curvy mountain road in the Missouri Ozarks. He (or maybe she) is approx. 2" in length. We haven't had any issues with our pet turtle, but he buries himself in the dirt and sleeps all the time! The only time he "comes alive" is when we take him out and feed him or place him under his lamp. Is this normal? Or is there something we can do to cause him to want to be more alert and active?
Thanks in advance for your helpful response!

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but box turtles are very territorial. They tend to stay in one area for most of their life, so when you removed it and took it home it most likely became stressed. Some turtles never adapt to being in captivity. May I ask why you took it home? What exactly made you rescue it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At 2" your box turtle is a very young baby. Baby turtles are prey. It's for their safety that they stay hidden all the time. There's nothing you can do to get rid of this ingrained activity.

jakskillz

Georgia
Yeah a young box turtle will usually hide most of the day. I have to dig my babies out during feeding. You can add lots of plants and hides so it feels safe being above the dirt but it may not gain the confidence until adulthood.