Ornata

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Most of you know I brought 2 box turtles back from my sister's place back in September. one was Little Grumpyface...
100_5156.JPG
and a Terrapene ornata. This little ornate was not moving or eating so I brought her home. My sister had rescued it some time ago after she had been chewed by a dog. So at first I referred to her as the dog chewed ornata, anyway I started soaking her in carrots daily. I offered her different types of live food after the soak but she didn't start eating for almost a month.
100_5300.JPG
The first ting she ate was 4 huge Night crawlers. Then she started eating fruit. So after I decided she wasn't going to die I named her Chewy. She's a smallish tought little turtle and you'd never know she was so bad off...here she's stuck her head in to either bite of sniff Grumpyface...
100_5704.JPG
She's a very nice little turtle who eats great and is very active. Here she is with Grumpyface for the photo only. She tries to eat him...lol
100_5702.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I never have luck with the ornata, and so when I was rescuing I always tried to find them good homes as soon as possible.

This one was in a hospital tank on my kitchen table. She did real good at first, eating everything I offered. But then she started to decline until eventually she wouldn't eat at all. Maggie got here just in the nick of time. I had been offering her fruit, veg and black soldier fly larva. I ran out of the BSFL and started giving her butter worms.

It warms my heart to know that she's turned around under Maggie's care!