'Original shipment' cherryheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
More old slides that were transferred to a disk...

These are two of my first four cherryhead red-footed tortoises. They were part of what has been commonly called the 'original shipment' that Blue Ribbon Pet Farm in Miami acquired back in 1984. That first load contained up to 4000 animals (according to former employees at Pet Farm) and they were sold for $40.00 each.
At the time Pet Farmed claimed that although the tortoises were exported from Argentina, they were actually of Paraguayan origin. A few years later though Pet Farm staff who worked with the reptiles admitted that they were actually from Brazil. But since Brazil was completely closed to wildlife exportation at the time PF couldn't say where they really came from without risking confiscation by the feds here in the USA. If your are wondering why they didn't just say that the redfoots came from Argentina, the answer is because they don't occur there--or, at least not in harvestable numbers. So Paraguay became the logical country to tell people where these odd tortoises originated from.
Although PF had brought in a huge number of these tortoises, they would only have a few hundred at a time at their sales facility with the remainder being kept at their 'farm'.
This first photo shows a young female I picked out to keep for myself. She had some really nice red color...

R1-02345-0002.jpg

The thing that got most peoples attention though were the strange looking marbled individuals that would be scattered throughout the group. This is another young animal I picked out for myself...

R1-02345-0008.jpg

R1-02345-0007.jpg

No, these are not great photos. I used to be happy if a photo came out in focus so most pictures I took were of tortoises out in my back yard. Here is a side view of the same marbled juvenile...

R1-02345-0009.jpg

Like a lot of very marbled cherryheads, this individual didn't have much color on her head and legs. For some reason this is often the case.

I kept my group of four cherryheads for about two years before I sent them all up to a friend in the Washington D.C. area.
Yes, I know...I should have kept them!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I really enjoy these posts of old pics and the stories that go along with them. Those are/were some very nice looking cherryheads!

Were these animals farmed or wild caught? I wasn't clear on this and I'm curious because the removal of 4,000 tortoises from a wild population could be devastating! Makes little difference at this point, but I'm just curious.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Redstrike said:
Were these animals farmed or wild caught? I wasn't clear on this and I'm curious because the removal of 4,000 tortoises from a wild population could be devastating! Makes little difference at this point, but I'm just curious.

It might have been a mixture of both. Many of those animals were clearly wild caught. But I can't say for sure if they all were or if the so called farming was taking place then.
I agree that 4000 tortoises being removed from their habitat is not a good thing. And yet I think that a lot of keepers would be shocked at the number of wild caught reptiles that get shipped out (or that used to get shipped out) of their native countries every year. That is why captive breeding has become such an issue for many of us.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
cdmay said:
Redstrike said:

It might have been a mixture of both. Many of those animals were clearly wild caught. But I can't say for sure if they all were or if the so called farming was taking place then.
I agree that 4000 tortoises being removed from their habitat is not a good thing. And yet I think that a lot of keepers would be shocked at the number of wild caught reptiles that get shipped out (or that used to get shipped out) of their native countries every year. That is why captive breeding has become such an issue for many of us.

Agreed! Thanks for sharing, this is really great stuff - hope to see more pics and stories like it!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Laura said:
are they still in DC? breeding?

Would like to think so. They went to someone named Frank Watrous (anybody ever hear from him?) who was a Class A keeper and a very good guy. I haven't heard from him in years.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Those were some really pretty tortoises. It does make me want to cry thinking of so many being taken captive and shipped. I can just picture it, all those torts in a big box. Your stories are very interesting and it is great to hear from someone who actually experienced this. Thanks for posting the pics and the stories Carl.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I know it's sad when you think of them being shoved in a big box and shipped out to be farmed. Hopefully, the one's that lived went to good homes. Even sadder to me are some pictures I've seen of about 50 or more RF's stabbed on a big long stick and roasted on an open fire. YucK!!

Great pictures and memories you always share with us Carl.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Yep, you beat me to it, you shoulda kept them! Great story, very informational from one of the old timers.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
allegraf said:
Yep, you beat me to it, you shoulda kept them! Great story, very informational from one of the old timers.

Um, I'm not really that old.
You punk!

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
that is very interesting, and what great photos. they are some beautiful torts

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
I really enjoy these posts of old pics and the stories that go along with them. Those are/were some very nice looking cherryheads!

What you have to understand is back then, all you had to do is take a trip down any of the main Rivers, and you could put together a 4000 animal shipment in two weeks.......Those numbers may seem big, but in all reality, those numbers pale in comparison to the amount of hectares those animals are collected from.........

Add to the fact that the way the Tortoises are collected, it more than likely didn't put a dent in any population......

I know a few of those animals from that shipment are still producing today, in addition to their many F1 offspring........

Status
Not open for further replies.