Organic tortoise garden.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
So my baby's will be here Wednesday. I am so excited I can barely stand myself. Course I'm little scared too, I worry I won't feed them right or something stupid. That's just me, I worry about the stupidest stuff. Anyhow, I have decided to make a raised organic garden with nothing but tortoise yummies. I seen on tortoise supply website they have seed mixes you can buy. I was thinking of getting: african grazer mix, Italian dandelion, Bermuda grass, and crimson clover and I'm going to pick up some fescue seed from nursery. Would this make a good variety mix? Course in summer I can also home grow some greens and other things to add to mix. I also thought about getting some the herbal hay,dandelion leaf mix, and cactus pads to mix with what he's going to b eating while we wait for out other to grow in. He is just a little hatchling so what would be the best for him right now? Thoughts, opinions wanted please.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Everything from Tortoise Supply would be fine. It all depends on how much you're willing to spend. You'll get large quantities of anything you decide to buy (I still have half a bag of testudo mix after a year of use). Just know that it takes 4-6 weeks for the seed mix to be well established even though it starts sprouting as early as day 3. I bought a little of everything from Sarah and Tyler and my torts love it all. Just try not to be overly ambitious and grow more than your little hatchling can eat :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It sounds like a great idea. Everything you mentioned I'm sure will be enjoyed by him. Like said above, don't over plant. When they get too long, they are no longer interested in it and so take some scissors and trim it, as if you were cutting the lawn.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I see that grape vine leafs and mulberry leaves are a good item to throw in my variety. Is there certain type or can I just pick up a grape vine and mulberry whatever(tree maybe?) and while I'm waiting to grow my own source, is there a place I can buy these leafs from?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I see that grape vine leafs and mulberry leaves are a good item to throw in my variety. Is there certain type or can I just pick up a grape vine and mulberry whatever(tree maybe?) and while I'm waiting to grow my own source, is there a place I can buy these leafs from?
Mulberry is a tree, I'm not in the US so I can't talk a lot about where to buy them... My cousins used to have a mulberry tree that had really tasty berries, you can buy a fruitless tree to save yourself from the mess. It grew well in our sweltering desert heat!

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Mulberry is a tree, I'm not in the US so I can't talk a lot about where to buy them... My cousins used to have a mulberry tree that had really tasty berries, you can buy a fruitless tree to save yourself from the mess. It grew well in our sweltering desert heat!
Ok great. I wasn't for sure about that. I will check into getting one. What about the grape leaves, is that just a basic grape vine that I can plant in my organic tortoise garden?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Ok great. I wasn't for sure about that. I will check into getting one. What about the grape leaves, is that just a basic grape vine that I can plant in my organic tortoise garden?
Never grown grapes (we're in the desert) but there is an internet link I found:
http://m.wikihow.com/Grow-Grape-Vines
Good luck!