Organic Hibiscus

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Greetings TFO :cool:

I would love to feed my baby red foot/cherry head some hibiscus flowers and leaves. I want to make sure though, that the plants I feed him have no pesticides or fertilizers. Does anyone know where I can buy or order organic hibiscus, grape leaves, etc? Or, is there a good way to effectively eradicate any chemicals from the plants? I would, of course, love to feed him some right now, b/c I'm sure he would love it, but, I want to make sure this little cutie stays as healthy as I can keep him!

Any advice would be much appreciated. :) I love this forum. Everyone is so knowledgeable, kind and helpful. Yay for torts! ;)

--Rachael

dbsneed69

5 Year Member
TN
There's a thread that talks about re-potting the plants in an organic soil and waiting for two months for the chemicals to leech out. I tried to find it but I get lost looking through everything.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi....so I have a suggestion, I have in the past purchased different plants from my local nursery (where I know that they do not use pesticides on the plants that THEY grow) however, a couple of times while at LOWES I have purchased plants from them, and there is no way that they know if the vendor they purchase their plants from use pesticides/herbicides etc, BUT when you are shopping for plants you will find on the plant is the name of nursery/vendor along with the city and state from which the plant was grown at....you can take that information and do the old fashion thing and call 411 and get their phone number or you can go online and get the phone number and simply call them....I have done this many times, they will usually need to of course know the type of plant you have purchased, the place of purchase and the date of purchase...with this information you can find out if they use any chemicals as a normal growth practice....if they do you will want to know if any of the chemicals were systemic or "topical application", if systemic then I would not feed any part of the plant to your torts for at least a year and if topical application you can simply water the thing down and let all blooms bloom and fall off once and then any new growth will be fine to feed :D

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
Thanks Angela. That is a fantastic idea! I will definitely look into doing that. I'm sure my little guy will very much appreciate it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.